Can Klonopin be taken as needed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen728, Sep 12, 2003.

1. karen728

karen728 New Member

When I went to the Dr the other day and asked for Klonopin and she said "no". She said no because she said it was addicting. I said "I would only take it as needed". She said "you can't take Klonopin as needed because that would make matters worse". The constant going on and coming off would mess up my system.

What are your thoughts on this. I'm going back to my Dr in 3 weeks and I'm going to try again so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen

2. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

Google Dr. Paul Cheney to see his take on Klonopin, I mean the Google search engine.

He is one of the best known CFS/FM doctors and has very interesting views and research on Klonopin. He says it is not addicting to CFS/FM patients, that it is necessary to release the neuro problems these illnesses cause and that we should not only take it at night but take small portions during the day to help with brain fog and oher symptoms.

Print these out and take them into your doctor.

I know doctors are under scrutiny from some board for prescribing benzos and other sleep type meds. They are afraid their licenses will be taken away.

Fortunately I have a CFS knowledgable and rebel doctor who thumbs his nose at those boards. I hope you can find a doctor like that too.

Hollie
  3. bodyneedswk

bodyneedswk New Member

Boy, I also have an extremly talented and gifted physician when it comes to Fibro/CFS! I thank my stars for the Klonopin RX. My legs were in such spasms that some nights they would appear to have a mind of their own! I cannot believe how many concerns their are for "addiction". I have been told by my Doc, that Addiction is a mental disease and behaviors that can lead to a deterioration of life and quality of morals. On the other hand, yes we have to take medication that we can become dependent on. Big difference.... I do not go out stealing for my co-pay for my RX's at least so far! Just joking, I know that some may be offended and I truly am trying to keep it light in leu of the pains of addiction. Taking medication that I can become dependent on does not make an addict! The DSM III R or IV R (whatever volume they are up to)is a guide for diagnosing mental health diseases and the criteria for Addiction/Alcoholism/Chemical Dependency is not simply we get sick if we do not take our medicaiton! I have learned so much from my physician and others that I can at least feel good about myself as I need the medications that have dependency side effects.
    Good luck!
    Peace,
    Bodyneedswk :eek:)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/13/2003]
  4. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

i have wondered also if it can be taken as needed or if it needs to be in your system on a regular schedule. does anyone know? thanks karen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The article on Klonopin by Dr. Cheney is right here in our library.

Klonopin is not addicting, but it isn't a drug typically to be taken as needed. It is used to calm the overfiring of the neurons in our brains. The higher dose is taken at night for sleep and it can be used in very small doses during the daytime for anxiety and sensory overload.

It has been a God send for me.

Love, Mikie
  6. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I know Dr. Cheney is the expert and I value what he says, but I do take Klonopin "as needed". It works great for me that way. I take it at night only. I did start out taking it on a regular schedule but then I didn't need it as much. I had two different Dr.'s tell me to take it as needed, which with me is only usually once a week to help me sleep. It is one of the few meds I can tolerate without the side effects. So far, I have not had a problem taking it as needed.

Harmony
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just curious--do you take the Klonopin as needed for racing brain, anxiety, or insomnia? It isn't that one cannot take Klonopin as needed, it's just that people usually take it daily for ongoing problems.

If one were to take it almost every day and then go off of it, it could cause a rebound seizure. Taking it sparingly would not cause this type of problem and would, most likely, keep one from developing a physical dependency.

I'm glad it works for you this way.

Love, Mikie
  8. karen728

karen728 New Member

I would only be taking Klonopin for the nights that my brain just won't turn off. I would never take it during the day.

At my next appointment, I'm going to try and see if this will fly. Isn't Xanax a drug that can be taken as needed as would do the same as Klonopin? Maybe I should ask for Xanax then. I do know that Xanax is more addicting.

Your thoughts please.

kc
  9. KLS

KLS New Member

I too was concerned that over the course of the last few years, I have had to up the dose for effective relief...so I stopped the klono. After several weeks of waking up in nearly a catatonic state a dozen or more times a night, I gave in and upped the dose to the necessary level. I see scripts written all the time using prn and mostly from neurologists. If it is used for seizure as designated, of course there needs to be a steady state established, but when using it for control of the muscle spasms that we all experience, prn may be safer than a regular dose because of the dependence factor. I'd rather see klono than xanax and that is by far used prn with greater negative propensity for abuse and normally not as effective for FM type spasms
  10. suz41

suz41 New Member

Last time I checked 75 mg would never be used. More then likely bek meant .75 mg. I have been on Klonopin for years to control a seizure disorder and I take 4mgs a day total which is the moderate to high end dosing and usually used for people with seizure disorders. For relief of anxiety, racing brain, Myoclonus(muscle twitching)or RLS usually lower doses are prescribed and usually at night. 75mg would be a major overdose. Most likely a typo error.

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2003]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know Bek is taking 1 1/2 tablets at night. That's .75 mgs.

I guess in a way, I do sometimes take it as needed during the day depending on sensory overload or racing brain, but I always take the .75 mgs. at night. I have found, however, that if I take 1/4 tablet mid-morning and mid-afternoon, I feel much better than if I take it sporadically. I believe our slight seizure state is pretty much always there and taking the Klonopin on a regular basis provides protection to our neurons.

Love, Mikie
  12. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

when I was first given an RX for klonopin I was told to take it as needed but i found that difficult to do because it was used for anxiety so I didn't use it like that but I know other people like my mom use xanax as needed
    -Megan
  13. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I take Klonopin for insomnia usually because my racing brain won't settle down. I think it depends on what we take it for whether we can take it as needed.

A couple of years ago I started taking it 3 times a day for anxiety. After 6 months my anxiety was better so I gradually cut back on it. For me, taking the Klonopin that much made me depressed as I heard it can sometimes do in some people. Now I take it only as needed to sleep and it works great.

Harmony
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think you may be right about that. I'm glad it helped your anxiety and that you were able to wean off of it.

I hope than when I get to a certain point in my healing that I will not need it anymore. Until then, it has really been a God send.

It doesn't make me depressed, but it has kinda flattened out my emotions, which may actually be a good thing; I'm not sure.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]