Can knee surgery cause the butt to hurt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I never thought of the connection, but since the kinee surgery in 02/08 I have had a flare-up of pain and other issues from my immune system taking a hit, which I believe, from the anesthesia.

Now I have been experienceing pain in the right butt muscle. the right knee was the one operated on. It comes and goes and now starts to have my leg give out.

Could this be related? which specialty would this be? My SS hearing is next month.

Thanks much for all the help I have received throughtout the years on this board.
  2. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I have had CFIDS for about 18 years. I had what I thought was a groin pull in 2006 but I quickly descended into needing a walker to get hip cartilage was shot. I flew across the country to have my hips resurfaced (like hip replacement but for younger, active people, doesn't dislocate). My recovery was super fast and the CFS never got in my way except working out for recovery.

Now I've had both knees TKR'd 6 months apart, I'm about 8 months out on second knee. Once again, recovery was very fast, my system seems to love surgery. No problems with anasthesia but I am ultra sensitive to most pain meds and all NSAIDS, so hard to find those that work.

And I've been to tons of Physical Therapy due to all this.

What kind of surgery did you have to your knee in 2008? Full Total Knee Replacement or something else?

Any time you have weak knee(s) or hips you really need to build up your quads and glutes (butt muscle). Those are the primary muscle groups that need rebuilding after surgery and even before. All the limping around before surgery weakens them.

I don't know why your leg would give out, you mean your knee gives out, don't you? Perhaps better muscle strength would fix this or there could be something internal within your knee causing it. I need more info on your surgery and problems.

I think the specialty would be ortho docs or surgeons and a very good physical therapist, to give you advice on what could be wrong. I'd get XRays ASAP.

It is possible this could be resulting from a bad hip, but more likely a knee internal problem or just building up quads and glutes. I have lots of exercises if you want to try to strengthten them.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

There are definitely some conditions that affect anything and/or everything from the knee up to the butt....even some things involving the spine can be felt in the butt and on down the entire leg all the way to the feet....what was your knee surgery for exactly? As far as who to see fot his, I think it depends on a few things, but PT, chiro, orthopedics are a few that might help or at least give yo a better idea where to go next.....again depedning on what exactly is going on, massage might help, too...and a sports doc could also be really helpful, even if you are not exercising due to CFS or FM - they tend to know about knee and muscle injuries, overuse injuries (which this could be, even if you don't think you are using your body that much rt now)

some things that it could be......Iliotibial band, sciatic nerve, piriformis muscle, hamstring muscles pulling on the piriformis, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, pulled muscle, problems with the way you walk due to the knee surgery (even if you haven't noticed a difference, your gait could have changed just enough to put a strain on parts of your body that are not intended to be used in quite that way), could even be something to do with your feet and getting some inserts for your shoes could help (in which case, obviously you would want to see a podiatrist)

the good news is that if it is any of these things, there are some fairly good ways to treat them
  4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I had simple knee surgery from a work-related accident transferring a home-health client. The dr. said he cleaned debris from the knee.

I went into PT. During recovery I came down with the bronchitis, laryngitis (non-smoker) and had the flu 2x, which is unusual for me.

I never experienced the pain between the ribs and overall body pain that people would talk about. Now, I know.

Thanks for the help and I will look into your suggestions. I wonder if the myofascial pain disorder is also at work here?

My leg gave out unexpectedly when I was standing on it and the pain shot in the butt muscle and the leg just gave out...very strange.

I am mad that I came so far with being functional again from 20+ years and having a setback like this. From not being as active as I was before, I gained weight that I now have to work off.

5. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I'm trying everything to get weight off these days....hard during Xmas though.

I don't know what you mean about pain between ribs and overall body pain, so you now have that in addition to the butt muscle pain?

If you never went to PT you could still get a prescription and go. That and XRays would be the first avenue to try. For simple butt (glute) exercise, I lay on floor or bed on my back with knees bent, then raise up the butt and hold while squeezing. A variation is while raised up lift one leg up and hold. Another exercise is squats...I use one of those big balls and put it between my back and a wall, then slide down till quads are parallel to floor, hold, then slowly raise don't really need the ball to do this.

I never got much out of myofacial therapy from any of my surgeries.

Sometimes when they "clean debris" from the knee, they take too much meniscis...they did with me. That could explain your knee giving out, and could also explain your butt pain from knees not meshing properly when you walk. About 6 months after my simple meniscis surgery I had to have total knee replacement, even though I quickly recovered from the "simple" arthoroscopic surgery.

If you ever need to email me,

Jam, I went to Dr. Thomas Coon to have my hips resurfaced, he is in Columbia, SC. He is one of the top docs in hip resurfacing surgery, having developed his own prosthesis, teaching all over the world and in 2006 had done over 1,000 resurfacings. In NYC, which I think you meant, Dr. Su is the top doc and is the top doc for resurfacings in all the US now. We resurfacing people have done extensive reviews and interviews with any potential top docs and we track them for failures.

Dr. Gross won't do a resurfacing on anyone over 65 because he doesn't believe the bone is in as good of condition as it needs to be. However there are other top resurfacing docs that will do over 65 depending on bone condition from a DEXA scan.

Resurfacing hips rather than replacements is a wonderful improvement. You don't even notice anything has been done, no limitations (except bungy jumping), many people go back to doing their triathlons or whatever extreme sport they were doing...lots of athletes.

Jam, just reread your post about the Santa Monica doc. The top doc in LA area and the world is Dr. Amstutz in Los Angeles. Resurfacing is so much more difficult that hip replacement, you never want to go to a surgeon who has done less that 200 of them....steep learning curve.[This Message was Edited on 12/25/2009]
  6. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

Jam, are you 71 like you mentioned in a prior post? If so, you may not be able to get a resurfacing, but you should try! It will be the "top docs" (only a few in the US) who can work on older people or those with problems like osteoporosis, AVN, cysts, etc. I'd sure recommend Amstutz in LA.

You can ask your doc how many he has done and what his failure rate is. If he refuses to provide that, run. Do not go to a surgeon who has done fewer than 200, hopefully more.

There is really nothing to be done if cartilage is gone or disappearing. The fake and cadaver cartilage transplants have not panned out, stem cells have not worked. Do you know if it is your knee or your hip causing you problems? XRays will tell.

Oh, yeah, the resurfacing is great, a wonderful group too called SurfaceHippy on Yahoo Groups is the place to be. Also . A huge group of younger people get together around their future or past resurfacings.

My fabulous knee doc, Dr. Coon, who invented "quad sparing" knee quad tendons, muscle or ligaments are cut, I spent 24 hours in hospital and walked out unaided, never had to go to PT. Anyway, he is now doing knee resurfacing and says it's a viable option to knee replacement.

If you can't get a hip resurfacing be sure you get the big ball hip replacement, it's the old small balls that dislocate quite easily. And get a metal allergy test before any of these joint replacements. That info is at .

I got to the point where I was in a walker for my hips, so had to get surgery. With my knees, many ortho docs wanted me to just wait and do nothing. But my life kept getting smaller and smaller, I was unconsciously not going places because of pain or stairs. I finally got to the point where I had to answer "do I want to walk or not".

Good luck,

7. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

Sounds like you still have some cartilage left or you would be in more pain. Sounds like you're pretty sure it's your knees.

I forgot to mention that injections of Synvisc (or some other named Hyalgen product) help a lot of people postpone surgery. It's a thick fluid that acts as a form of cartilage on the knee, maybe they use it for hips too.

So, if ever you do get in real continuing pain first try Synvisc or one of its relatives. My cartilage was so far gone my knees would not hold in the Synvisc.

Good luck,

8. JLH

JLH New Member

I had two minor knee surgeries on each knee prior to having a total knee replacement on my left knee in 2008.

None of the knee surgeries resulted in "butt" pain for me.

However, I have a pinched nerve in the area of L4-L5-S1 which is at the very bottom of my back and feels like it's at the "butt level." LOL I guess that's the sciatic nerve that is pinched. It causes extreme pain in my low back/butt area, as well as down my right leg, and has my big toe and next toe numb.

I happen to know that none of this pain is related to the fibro.

BTW, I am well past due on getting a total knee replacement on my right knee, too. It's in constant pain and I can not hardly walk due to it and my back pain.
  9. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

JLN, I know how you feel, I felt the same before my 2nd knee replacement. I couldn't walk! Or I should say my TKR'd knee could walk forever but my natural knee gave out quite soon. But now I can walk well, jump, go down/up boulders, there is life after TKRs.

Jam, I went through a ton of PT (Pilates based) to strengthen my quads, glutes, core in hopes my increasing strength would help out by taking the load off my knees. In the end though I just had too much pain and had to have the surgery. Hopefully you are not such a quick descender.

Too bad about the Synvisc.

10. FMT_Don

FMT_Don New Member

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on Synvisc and similar treatments. It seems that everyone either loves it or hates it. It's a shame that it didn't work out for you, but as it is, they seem to be only a temporary solution.

My (layman's) gut reaction is that sooner is better for knee replacement. Even if they wear out while you're still young (they say they last about 20 years, but who knows - the data's 20 years old, after all!). Would you rather have 20 years of pain-free mobility sooner rather than later?

If price is the issue, then there are options as well. Medical tourism provides a low-cost alternative to the prohibitive prices in the U.S., for example.
  11. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I know a few people that Synvisc is still working for after 5 years, so for some it does work.

The reason I see to delay knee replacement is the new techniques and technology emerging that could perhaps do better than traditional TKR. My OS is now doing total knee resurfacing, where no bone is much better for younger people. This may really catch on in the next few years. And they are still working on a substitute for cartilage for an implant, someday this may be viable.

I agree that if you have no life because you can't walk, like me, then get the TKR. By the time it needs a revision they may make those better too.