Can Malic Acid cause itching?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Manwithfibro, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I don't know if it is Malic Acid or just one of my itching fits I get from time to time but can Malic Acid cause itching? It is just plain organic Malic Acid with nothing else in it. No preservatives etc...

Thanks
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

The only itching I can find associated with malic acid is if you are allergic to it.

I've taken malic acid on and off for years and never had any negative side effects.

So if you get itching fits from time to time, I would guess most likely that is the cause. But the only way to know for sure is to stop the malic acid, see what happens, if anything, and then restart it.

Mary
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

This has gone on for about 4 summers now. It seems to be a tad swollen around the elbow compared to other arm and when it's itching it's hot and red. It seems to hit me late summer, so I'm wondering if it's something in the air. Think histamines. I've tried moisture creams, hydrocortisone cream, liquid milk of magnesia (that seems to sooth it a little) but ice works the best for me.

You don't say if you itch all over or not.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

It took me months to sort this out. When I add Malic acid I get strong itching on my forearms and calves mainly When I stop the malate the itching goes away. Tested it several times over three years. I don't know whether I am allergic the malate. If you can even be allergic to malate? But I sure am sensitive to it.