Can Mammogram cause fibro flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Risk, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi everyone. I was feeling pretty good last week, and then wham! I had my yearly mammogram on Friday and early Saturday morning awoke with the most awful muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. The only thing I can attribute it to, was being contorted during the mammogram procedure. Has this happened to anyone else? The pain was so bad yesterday that I was taking Skelaxin three times a day just to try to break up the spasms. Just when I think I'm getting ahead of the DD something comes along to topple it.

Thank you for listening!

Hugs,
    Rene
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry for your flare. Yes, just about anything can cause a flare. They do put us into unnatural poses which probably pulls our muscles in our backs, chests, arms, and necks. Also, I think everyone dreads having their mammos done. It's not that I fear the pain because for the most part, I've not had a lot of pain with my mammos. It's just that it's a pain to have to go have it done. We are probably tense when they are putting us through those poses.

Take care of yourself and hopefully, the flare will let up. Comfort yourself with the knowledge that you just did a good thing for yourself. We have enough problems without adding breast cancer. Any preventive tests we can do to prevent other problems is, as Martha says, a good thing.

Love, Mikie
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had one done on Thursday and I've had more spasms than usual in my back and neck. It do think it's those lovely positions they put us in.

Thank God it's only once a year!

Eileen
  4. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I had one done in June, & experienced the same things. Also had abrasions under both breasts, from the tugging & pulling..I was sore for a week. I think w/fibro our breasts are more tender & we do experience more spasms/pain, etc.

Every year I dread going, but do it, as the alternative isn't the best..And I think the anticipation of going, makes me tense up even more..

Hope you feel better soon.
    Fifth....
  5. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Mike, Fifth and Eileen, thank you so much for your responses. I'm not tense going through the mammo. To me, it's part of taking care of myself and I'm diligent about going every year for my mammo. But you are right, we are put in such unnatural positions, and even though it's only for a few moments, I guess with the fibro it's taxing on our bodies.

Thanks, Mikie. I'm taking it easy this weekend. Nice hot showers, adding the Skelaxin to the klonopin and zoloft as needed. I find that Tylenol helps to. It also helps to have wonderful imput from people like all of you!

Hugs,
    Rene
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have mine scheduled for 9/8. I'm going to take a pain med before as when they do mine, they practically do my neck too. It's pretty painful to be in the positions for me and I have actually had spider veins come on my breasts as a result of the mammogram.

I don't know what it is, but it takes months for it to go away.

I dread it, but I realize we need to get it and I haven't had one in 2 years. I'm supposed to be getting them every year.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

done a couple of weeks ago, The place I went to had a different machine than the last time I went, it was much easier, took less time and no pain at all during or after.
    Sue
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I find that almost anything that causes my body to tense up can send me into spasms.

A couple of weeks ago I had a cyst removed from the top of my head. Although the doc numbed it, I still tensed up because of the expectation that it was going to hurt. I could hardly move the next day. It was awful.

Been avoiding my mammogram.
    Tigger
  9. Risk

Risk New Member

Please don't let my posting dissuade you from having your mammogram. Every woman needs to have her yearly if she is over 40. The pain of the fibro we can deal with. We all care about you and even though you may have some type of flareup for a few days, it's worth it for your peace of mind.

And I want to thank all of you wonderful ladies for helping me through my flare. You are kind and caring.

Hugs,

Rene
  10. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I came home and told my husband that if they had to have their private parts squished like that, men would come up with new ways of doing the procedure!

Take care, Sally
  11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

done on Tuesday. Maybe that explains why I have felt so bad this week?

Ellen