Can milk be causing my sinus infections?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DoveL, Oct 3, 2005.

1. DoveL

DoveL Member

hello, everyone! I do have milk allergies, BUT my alternative doc recommonded having some yogart mixed with these 'special' kind of probiotics. Low and behold, 5 days later my wicked sinus infections came back? Could milk cause this allergic reaction in the sinus', then an infection. I have read on some sites..yes. Any advice? Any experience from this? THis is all so confusing. They tell me don't drink milk, but having this yogart is ok. I wonder who to believe. Thanks all. Have a great day. DOVE
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Milk products, corn, and several other foods are what are known as "mucus producers" and should be avoided when any type of sinus problem is present.

abbylee
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can take a good probiotic capsule, which contains more good bacteria than yogurt, without the increase in mucous. I take the Jarro-Dophilus sold here. It is an excellent probiotic and there are others on the market which are also excellent.

I don't know whether you do the saline solution sniffs, but that alone will help cut down on sinus infections. You can make your own with sterile water and sea salt or you can buy one. If you buy one, be sure it does not contain preservative(s) which can harm the sinuses. Salt and pure water is all that is needed. You snort it up your nose with your head tilted forward several times a day to thin the mucous and allow it to drain.

Not all sinus infections are bacterial. They can be fungal too. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I wouldn't doubt it!

I know I get all congested when I drink milk or eat cheese and so does my husband

If you are allergic to milk, you probably should avoid it
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

My son (now age 17) had chronic ear infections from birth. He was eventually placed on Gantricin prophyllactally. This kept some infections at bay but doc eventually wanted tubes inserted. I refused. I INSISTED on RAST testing, and he scored very low to milk. (Doc didn't think this was significant score, but) I cut it out of his diet at age 1 1/2 (he is also lactose intollerant) and he has NEVER had another ear infection. In fact, he has NEVER been on antiobiotics even once since that day. I should tell you that he was breastfed baby until age 2, milk and cheese and yogurt were occassional extras.

I had chronic sinusitis for 20+ years. Lived on antibiotics. Gave up milk (but not all dairy, love my cheese) about 5 years ago, and have not had another sinus infection since.

It's certainly worth a try.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
  6. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Yes, It does seem that dairy creates mucous. There is a good
    book called "Don't Drink Your Milk" I can't remember the author though. The book informs the reader how milk is
    so processed it can make a person sick.

I remember as a kid milk didn't bother me but it sure does now. There is also jet fuel in milk. No wonder so many
    people are getting sick.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

While modern additives can cause food allergies, we can develop them through Leaky Gut Syndrome. When the gut becomes porous, food can pass through the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream. When the immune system sees the food, it identifies it as a foreign substance and produces antibodies to it--voila, food allergy.

This is why it is so important to keep the balance between good bacteria and bad bacteria in the gut. After the age of about 35, the production of good bacteria falls off and it is important to replace them by taking a good probiotic. It is also important to take probiotics when taking antibiotics. Just eating yogurt or taking acidophilus isn't enough.

Love, Mikie
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

DoveL,
    I don't know about sinus infections, but I get very terrible sneezing and congestion the next day after I have eaten yogurt. I have just stopped using that now.

I notice when I eat anything that is substantial and has milk in it, I'll get a running nose the next day and possibly diarrhea that night. I am lactose intolerant and I do take the Lactaid piils with anything that has any dairy in it. Just doesn't seem to help with the yogurt or actual milk and that includes having a problem from Lactaid milk giving me severe diarrhea.

I haven't tried a probiotic yet. I may look into that. I have bought so many dietary supplements and had reactions or stomach pain that I just had to throw them in the trash.

So I'm very leery about any type of supplements anymore.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Do you mean jet fuel is in milk? How?
    Thanks, Shelbo
  10. DoveL

DoveL Member

Thank you everyone for all your replys. The info. was really helpful!! I do take a probiotic formual, that I was mixing in the yogart!!! YIKESS..this milk stuff does not agree with me. In the meantime, no more milk for me.. I will use a calcium supplement. I used to get chronic ear infections as a child too, as someone said in their posts about their child being sick, and after all, it was food allergy!! I believe that alot of my illness' were food allergys, even back when I was a kid!! Good health to all you nice people! Hugs Dove
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Faye

There has only ever been one diary-based product I could tolerate at a very low dose but I only used it for a few months.

I have tried enzymes for lactose, but I have problems with the casein and proteins as well. Probiotics did help with this. Dairy intolerance, or low tolerance of dairy foods, is not unusual in my family.

Dove

Dairy foods should be at the top of the list of suspects. Many herbalists and naturopaths recommend even those who do not have an intolerance should cease consuming dairy foods when they go down with a cold or any other infections that affect the respiratory tract, sinuses and ears.

Hope you find the triggers for this soon.

Tansy
  12. DoveL

DoveL Member

Tansy, thanks for the input!! No more milk for me!! In fact, it is really not something that I enjoy drinking anyway!! Have a great night. Hugs Dove
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but i would you consider seeing a regular medical doctor, i had a prblem a few years ago more about 10, i was being given the wrong antibiotic to kill the bacterial infections, so maybe you just can not do that thruough your natural ways. it isn't getting destroyed so to speak all the way so it starts feeling ok then when done w/what ever you taking it is still there, abcessed. i'm thinking you have never really gotten rid of it completely, it's like a silver sitting in there festering, have you been tested for milk allergies?

jodie