Can Milk Thistle Make You Sick?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by BxGirl, Jul 29, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I took a dose of Milk Thistle this morning, along with my other vitamins. A little while later, I felt so sick! I had a terrible stomach ache and was nauseous.

Can Milk Thistle cause this? I don't know who to ask. Please, does anyone take Milk Thistle? I need advice badly!

BxGirl
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

with some food . If I swallow a handful of supps and do not have food in my stomach.. hello nausea . Milk thistle is usually well tolerated and has been well studied for effectiveness.

You may also want to look up N acetyl cysteine and glutathione for liver health . I take NAC and selenium
    to have good therapeutic glutathione levels . NAC
    is often given by IV to people who have liver problems or have been poisoned . My doc suggests it for CFS patients or any chronic illness . Almost all of us are glutathione depleted .
  3. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I'll definitely take it with food. I didn't know.

I will also look up N acetyl cysteine and glutathione. I have an appointment in a month or two with my alternative doctor and I'm sure he'll want to do something to help support my liver. I felt so sick today. I also had a lot of reflux, but hadn't eaten too much. I don't know what's going on.

Doncha love this disease???

THANKS!!!!

Love,
    BxGirl
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I can only tolerate very small amounts too. You probably aren't allergic (though it's possible). For someone who isn't used to taking it, your reaction was typical for someone who knows for sure they have a very toxic and stressed out liver. You even have tests to prove it.

Are you taking a liquid or pill form, and is it possible to start on a much smaller dosage? You really have to work your way up slowly w/ liver detoxifiers. MT is an excellent liver herb, but the strongest for me. I've skipped it every since one bottle of liquid I had, I almost couldn't find a small enough dose.

NAC and glutathione do a very similar thing in aiding the liver and can cause herx too. For me it was more manageable.

I've added alpha lipoic acid lately, which boosts the bodies own stores of glutathione, vit. C and antioxidants and I'm liking it. My body is adjusting quite quickly. I've started on a milder dose of 100 mg tabs.

My favourite is dandelion, it's the gentlest and I have no obvious herx from it, but it takes the edge of a herx for me. Helps w// hangovers too. And we all know this DD can cause hangovers even when we haven't drank a drop. Esp. if you are chemically sensitive. Super cheap too, I just buy a baggy of herb for a few bucks and enjoy it in tea, often mixed w/ catnip (type of mint).

Jeanne
  5. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Does grapefruit also bother you?

Last year I had some testing done that evaluated my detoxification system genetic profile. They're looking for irregularities (polymorphisms) in those genes that are known to mediate detoxification.

I have a genetic irregularity at the gene referred to as Cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4). This pathway metabolizes 50%-60% of all prescription meds, most of our steroid hormones, & organophophate pesticides.

Quoted from the test results: "Milk Thistle has been shown in vitro to inhibit CYP3A4 activity. Caution should be exercised in prescribing it, especially if the patient is taking pharmaceuticals cleared through CYP3A4."

The lab results also cautioned against regularly consuming grapefruit juice as it also inhibits this pathway. The results also stated that activity of the enzyme encoded by this gene can vary 10-fold between individuals.

My rheumy just prescribed a supplement for me that contains milk thistle. I have been taking it for 2 days now. So far no issues. I have to take it with food. I'm getting a lot of mild nausea symptoms right now, but I think it's from Herxing. As far as pharmaceuticals go I'm only taking Heparin which probably clears via another pathway.

Hope this helps, Laurie
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I take Milk Thistle daily but instead of 2 capsules I only take 1 and I always take my supplements with a meal unless it directs otherwise.

I dont know how well it works but I know that in 99 I had something wrong with my liver, not enough for them to do a biopsy and then last year my liver count was fine. Whether it was down to the milk thistle or not, I dont know.

Rosie
  7. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I think I took the MT with all my other vitamins - B, C, E and multi-vitamin. Maybe that was too much. I didn't actually take it WITH food - but I had eaten before that.

Today I took one all by itself. I didn't get sick at all. I think I'll try taking it every day by itself. Just one a day. And with food.

How will I know when my liver is better?

BxGirl
  8. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

made me nauseous too, I was just drinking 6 oz. of the tea.
    So I decided to make a whole big pitcher of regular tea and dump the milk thistle in it, now I get no reaction from it at all.

And yes, I do drink the whole pitcher of tea in one day.
  9. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Proteinlady posted an interesting article called "Milk Thistle and Drug Interactions," which of course you can find by doing a search. After reading it, I decided not to take any chances with all these meds and switched to Liv 52 which helps the liver but does not contain any
    Milk Thistle.
  10. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I took my Milk Thistle today with breakfast. No side effects at all. I think that maybe I felt sick because I took all my supplements and vitamins at the same time. I need to space them out.

I read the post about drugs that interfere with Milk Thistle. I don't take any of those drugs. I don't drink grapefruit juice either. So hopefully I'll be able to continue on the Milk Thistle. Of course I still don't know how I'll know if my liver is better or not.

BxGirl