Can MRI make you feel better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krock, Mar 30, 2009.

1. krock

krock Member

I had an MRI this evening. I was exhausted, and it seems like I got a bit of energy from the MRI. Can magnets, magneting imaging produce that effect?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Not sure. I know after I had my MRI I stuck to the refrigerator for two days.

Hope your new energy lasts.

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've had two MRIs -- both for shoulder problems.

I experienced fatigue/sleep relief for a few weeks following both. Relief obvious enough that I have actually wondered the exact thing you have.

I think there might actually have been a study on this.

After all, I know that medical science is experimenting with deliberate magnetic manipulation of the brain for conditions such as depression, etc.

So why not!?!

Now if they could just make the MRI machine less claustrophobic!
  4. We'll take what we can get, huh?

I don't know, have you googled anything about that? T1/T2 (MRI machines, their 'strength,' so to speak, I've heard referred to in "Tesla") I don't expect you to know which Tesla the machine you were in, etc... some people with a very deep understanding of these things could really help you understand MRI machines more in depth than I..

But, I have had probably 15 MRI's over the past 7 yrs, most of them on my brain, 2 of lumbar spine, 1 of Cervical spine... I've been in machines in 3 different cities, I've been in a different *kind* of machine, called "Novalis".... not sure what it's difference was, though, to the doctors at methodist (neurosurgeons, physicists/neurophysicists, radiation oncology team, etc!) it seemed crucial to the planning, for Gamma Knife Surgery which I had twice.. (radiation treatment, or for me, it was to burn a very efficient lesion, onto the trigeminal nerve, to stop suicidal pain, after a botched 'balloon compression rhizotomy")

Probably more info than you were looking for, but, to answer again, for me, no, that has never once been the case, but, hey, Good for you?

Maybe it was just the mental lift? Of getting that 'hurdle' out of the way?

I surely don't know, or have the answer for you- I can say that I have herniated discs in my spine, and MRI machines, are usually HELL for me, despite them normally being under 45 minutes, normally 25-30minutes... and despite them having a 'pillow' to put under my legs... they are just flat out miserable for me, mostly.

I knew I was getting WAY too used to them in 04 (had FIVE, plus THREE CT scans! lol), when I was FALLING ASLEEP in them! LOL..

I call them the noisy cricket- due to the sound they make before your test begins... (god knows it sounds like a jackhammer, barber shop clippers, an old style printer adjusting lines, etc once it's adjusting each picture set up! lol)

5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I did NOT have a good experience with a closed MRI. I felt like I was in a coffin. It really freaked me out. And it was so loud, I had to make them stop and give me earplugs. Then the actual MRI, that HURT. It felt like a thousand needles going into my brain. Seriously. I was like WHAT? They had said it was painless.

I don't remember having good effects afterward. I was too upset from the experience.

I had an open MRI much later on and that was a better experience. They don't put you in the coffin.
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yes...magnets can change affect brain chemisty. in fact, i think this is how they discovered TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation), which is being used for many psychiatric illnesses. they noticed that many patients reported feeling better after having an MRI.
  7. krock

krock Member

I have done more research, and people are conducting trials to see if magnet field therapy helps a number of conditions, including fibromyalgia. None are near me, but I would participate if they were.

I have also found that there are magnetic field mattress pads you can by to sleep on. Has anyone tried these? Can any of you recommend a reputable brand or seller of them?

8. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Because it hurt so much lying flat on the hard "cushion" and I think from lying still for so long my circulation ground to a halt!

No good effects here :(

Love Bunchy x
  9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I read a study a while back -- can't remember where I saw it -- that showed a mood boost for some people with depression.

Also, if an iodinated contrast agent was used & the person is iodine deficient, that might account for an energy boost.

Best wishes.
  10. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

Rock <<Not sure. I know after I had my MRI I stuck to the refrigerator for two days.>>

It's not often that I find a post here that actually makes me laugh out loud. Thanks!

I didn't notice anything after my MRI, but I don't think I had FM until after that anyway. I had the MRI to find my herniated disk and I think the pain from the disk, plus surgery, plus financial stress ended up giving me FM. I'd like to have another MRI (I had one herniated disk and one that was moving in that direction, and I'd like to see if some of my pain is related to that) to see what has changed since my first one, but I can't afford it. It cost me $400+. And hey, if I could stick the the fridge for a couple of days and not be in pain, I'd take that.
  11. Doober

Doober New Member

Now I wonder if the "Heavy Metals" in our bodies can be drawn out via the MRI? Think about it, laying in the MRI machine and having these heavy metals drawn out to the outer edges of our bodies making us feel good after these test, and then they settle back down to where they were a few weeks after the test making us feel like we did before the tests?

I think they should do a test with those detoxing patches in several areas of the body and have someone lay in the machine with these on. Do a normal test and then compare it to another test subject with the same time frame and not in a machine. I wonder if they will see a difference in the heavy metals contents in each of the test subjects?????