Can NERVE pain feel like BONE pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have what feels like bone pain in my feet and hands (occasionally elbows and knees). They feel brittle.

I also have a lot of back pain.

I was taking Neurontin for about a year and my pain was all but gone. (Other pain meds didn't touch the pain.)

We ran a bunch of nerve tests and my nerves appear to be fine so doc said I could probably come off of neurontin. So I did.

Well, the pain is creeping back all over. I'm confused.

I don't have diabetes but I do have insulin resistance and dysautonomia. Could this be nerve pain if nerve conduction studies were normal??

Can nerve pain feel like brittle bones?

Thank you for your time.

Sofi
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi Sofi,

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have them as well. I had a needle emg (wouldn't want to go through that again too painful) My nerves are all screwed up. I guess if the Neurontin was helping (Neurontin I understand is for skeletal pain) why you can't stay on it? Maybe you can talk to your doc about it. Why take you off something that is effective? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I hope you have the kind of doc you can talk to about this.

good luck

your friend,
    fun
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I agree that I probably need to go back on Neurontin or I might try Lyrica this time as I've heard good things.

I'm just wondering why these meds work when my nerve tests were normal. Could it actually be bone pain and still be helped by neurontin?

Any other thoughts?
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

anyone else?
  5. I was on neurontin and it helped quite a bit, however my dr. said that lyrica is so much better and faster working than neurontin. I have to start it, but I am so leary of new meds.
    nerves are all around your muscles and bones so yes it can feel like its in your bones, mostly in the joints in my opinion. I always say I feel like I have been hit by a sledge hammer.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  6. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I was on Neurontin for awhile. A lot of meds that are used for FM patients are "off-label" use, meaning not approved for FM, but still help in one way or another. I would let my doctor know that neurontin was helping and see if he will either put you back on it or try a different medication. It is probably not nerve pain since your NC study was normal. I understand, My pain feels like it is the bone too. My saying is "I feel like I have been ran over by a MAC truck and then he backed up and ran me over again".
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you for your responses. I will probably try the Lyrica when I go back on something.

My bones feel bruised. My feet feel like the bones are broken - no padding when I walk. My hands ache and sometimes when I grip something I whince, like I hit a bruise.

I do cramp up a lot but that's a different pain.

It's difficult to explain.

My alkaline phosphatase was low twice and I wonder if that reflects anything about my bones.

Sofi
  8. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I got this from Medline web site

Lower-than-normal ALP levels (hypophosphatasemia) may indicate:
    malnutrition
    protein deficiency

Hope that helps!