Can not afford your meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was looking for something else and I saw where Merckhas a program to help those that can not afford their prescriptions.

Go to Merckhelp.com
    Please not that I did not read it nor the requirements and all. But I do get my meds through Merck using my own prescription plan. They deliever it per mail, a 3 month supply to me.
    I am blessed to have this.

I really hope this info is worthwhile.......Blessings
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

drug companies have assistance programs. I get most of my meds for free from them. The ones I can't get free I get through a program called Rx Outreach where they charge a $20 dispensing fee to mail me 3 months worth of the prescription.
    If you go to thier website you can look at a list of what meds they cover.

Every company's requirements are different but they are mostly based on income and whether or not you have any prescription coverage or medicaid.

Some examples of income are:
    make $15,000 or less per year as a single OR
    $32,000 or less as a couple. (I am not sure what single parent allotments are).

You have to disclose whether or not you receive SS and whether or not you have medicaid or any coverage.

Just go to the websites and you should be able to download the application forms. You usually find it under heading:
    Assistance Programs or Patient Assistance and stuff like that.
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Please keep looking and checking for the right program that will fit your needs. My MOm uses one called Free mediscine and has done for over 4 years. there are many such programs out there so all you need to do is ask and you should be able to find one that will fit your needs.

She fills out a form and has the doctor fill his part and the company that does this will do the search for the pharmcuidal company that makes the meds that she needs .

This is a good thing and is very underused help for us and others with chronic propblems. They really do work and each one that I have checked out ask you to please share this info with your friends and neighbors who may be needing help.

AS I siad there are other sites that can help you too. Just wanted to share this info with you all. AS this has greatly helped my mother. MOre than I can say, She now can get the meds she needs and they don't cost her anything.
    thanks for your time,
    Rosemarie
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

That is good news.....I worry for the ones that does not have insurance and they live on a low income.

This makes me feel better. Gentle Hugs......Susan
  5. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I live in Canada. I have been off work since September last year and haven't had any income since January. I still haven't been approved for LTD and I am in the process of an appeal. My Arthrotec alone is $100 per month and that is only one of my meds, I also have to pay $257 per month to keep up my health benefits through my work and I also have to pay for all my other meds--Wellbutrin, Celexa, Chlonazepam, Plaquenil,and Gabapentin (Neurontin), the expense is killing us. It seems that there is only help for people with extremely low income and nothing for middle class people. I feel like I am bring the whole family down with my expenses but I don't know what else to do. Can someone please advise.
    Thank you
    Sandy
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

the Canadian version of the drug companies web sites. I know some of them have coverage as well.

Also call the office responsible for disability, I know it is ODSP in Ontario, and ask if they have programs for people who can't afford thier meds and they will tell you what they have and most likely have a list of others available.