CAN ONE GET SOC SEC & WORK PART-TIME?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Apr 9, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Working full-time has become too much for me. It takes ALL my energy just to get ready in the morning and survive the day. There is nothing left when I get home, so my house is always a mess, which depresses me further.

I'm afraid to quit working outside the home entirely. I'm afraid I will just become more of a couch potato and a recluse, and get worse and worse physically.

Part-time work would be ideal for me, but then I wouldn't be able to pay the bills. Can one collect from Social Security to supplement while working part-time?

Then there's the issue of medical benefits, the other reason I have to work. I've got too many medical problems to go without.

What a dilemna. One that I'm sure others are experiencing. Any words of advice would be welcome.

Take care all
  2. CPRN911

CPRN911 New Member

I spoke w/SS rep today as a matter of fact...she told me you can work PT while receiving benefits...but there's a cap on how much money you can make once the benefits start...if I remember correctly it's something around $750/month...if you do more than that while receiving benefits, SS views you as having the ability to be "gainfully employed" and "could/probably would" revoke your benefits...also...I have a friend on it who says if you do receive SS remember to also pick up a supplemental insurance policy to go along w/medicare....I think you have something like 6 months after the start of SS to do that..then there are some sort of restrictions....she never did it...no one gave her the "straight skinny/right info"...anyway...she's on SSD and has this dumb thing of having to pay $500/month of whatever meds/dr. visits/hospital bills she has PER month...THEN medicare kicks in...yeah right...needless to say she OWES docs and pharmacies like crazy....try LIVING AFTER paying that per month on SSD...hope this helps...hopefully some folks "here" will post who are on SSD and tell those of us applying for SSD how it REALLY is....
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Has a $100 deductible per year and then pays 80% of allowed amts. and 100% of labs. I have been on SSD for 17 yrs. and ran a Fibro support group for 10 yrs., and never heard of any $500 per month deductible! That must be some other plan than Medicare. The 20% co-pay is bad enough, and paying for a supplement for a person under 65 is expensive enough to prevent you from eating, if you can even find one. Most companies will not write them, because they know if you are receiving Medicare before age 65 you must be very ill, and they don't want to pay for it.
    It's just like bank loans, the only people who can get it are the ones who don't need it.
    Klutzo
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You automatically get Part A, the hospitalization part of M/C. If you do not pay for Part B, around $60 a month now, withing the alloted time, it will cost more and it may take a year or so to get it. Part B is for doctor, labwork, and outpatient procedures. There are various deductibles and co-insurance payments depending on whether it falls under Part A or Part B.

M/C does not cover everything and out-of-pocket expenses can be great, so most either join a M/C HMO, PPO, or take a supplemental policy. There are only a few companies who sell supplemental policies and the same guaranteed-issue laws do not apply to disability M/C as for people who are 65. Disability supps can be underwritten which means that they can decide not to insure you and disability supps are usually two to three times as much as reg. M/C supps. When you turn 65, you can get the cheaper guaranteed-issue supp if you do it within the guaranteed-issue time period.

I know all this sounds complicated, but this stuff is important. I don't want M/C because it isn't a good deal for me. Right now, I pay $365 for my BC/BS HMO and it includes Rx coverage. M/C will cost about $60 for the Part B and a supp here is about $280 and there is no Rx coverage. This is why I want to get back to work instead of staying on SSD if SS every sets my hearing date, that is. Of course, I don't know what my premiums will be come June 1 for my private insurance either. If I get SSD, I become eligible for M/C Jul 1.

Love, Mikie
  5. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I did - I was extremely sick at onset of dd. I had just quit a good paying job about a month before becoming ill as I mistakenly believed things were going to be very good for us financially. Well, the bottom fell thru and after being sick in bed for 5 months I finally crawled out one day and realized if I didn't do SOMEthing we were going to the poor house with no sidetrips. My husband was just getting situated with a job that only paid $7/hr at that time.

I found a type at home job in the paper that was a REAL job, not a scam and so trained for that and finally, 8 months after becoming sick, I started making an "income" altho it was just a pittance. It was next to nothing the whole way but I did hit over the SSA allotted for that current year (2001) a few months. It became obvious to me I was having an increasingly tough time fulfilling my obligations to do this job so my husband started driving to pickup/deliver my work as I could not. I would sleep the whole time I was not working as it drained me more than I can explain. I kept it up but during December of 2001 I got some awful virus that knocked me down the ladder a few notches. At that time I had to cut back on my work so during 2002 I made at or below the allowable SSA schedule for income. I think I tried working a total of 17 months.

I honestly read their rules and could not figure out if you were "allowed" to make that certain amount and still be considered eligible or what. No one at Social Security would tell me.

In March of 2002 I signed up for SSDI as I felt I could not work but hung on because of, you know, FINANCES!! We folks out here think we should be able to live in a house, eat, pay bills, etc., even if only barely. SSA looks at it a completely different way.

They DO NOT want you to even act like you might be able to work.

I finally quit completely in December 2002 as I just could not continue the typing, even at home. I was down to 3 hours a WEEK of typing. I know I never could have left the house to work during that whole time as I could (can) barely stumble around when out of bed.

I finally consulted an attorney a month ago and he said, oh, no - you'll be lucky if they allow from right now on. And here I had thought if you didn't make more than their allowable amount you would be considered unable to work since inception of sickness (within their time limit of signing up for SSDI, of course).

I think you had better not work at all. I know financially it's impossible to live but they don't care. When you get more answers to your post I think you'll find that anyone going thru the process (I have been denied twice soo far) and those who finally were awarded realize you cannot work no matter what "we" think their rules mean.

My first claims adjuster told me that rule (cannot make more than $780 or whatever it is this year a month) only applies after you have been approved for disability and then only for a few months and has to be monitored by SSDI. So I don't know how everyone else sees this but I think they (SSDI) don't want to pay us anyway, let alone if we've been trying to earn some kind of money to stay alive.

Sorry - but I see some subjects here that I just have to contribute to because they are so close to my heart and own experience.

Pam
  6. pamj

pamj New Member

In order to qualify for SSDI, you have to show that you are completely disabled. If you are currently working, it would be extremely difficult for you to prove this.

Once a person is approved, it is probably easier to try to work part-time (up to the allowed amount). This is to encourage people to keep trying to get out there and work again, possibly building up to not need to receive the SSDI.

I was approved for SSDI, but I was completely bedridden at the time. I was working full-time, and suddenly developed a "flu" that did not go away, along with high fever. I couldn't even make it to the car without my husband's help & he took me to every doctor's appt, he did all the chores, and he had to help me complete all my paperwork (he even wrote a letter himself explaining all of this). It's been 2 years now, and I still can't leave the house alone.

The fact that you are able to get yourself to work, and want to continue part-time, would make it a very tough fight to prove why you should be entitled to SSDI in their eyes. It certainly is not fair, especially for those of us who only have a couple of hours a day that we're able to do anything. If you plan to try to apply in the future, you need to prepare your claim beforehand. Start to document everything, and make sure you have your doctor's support.

take care,
    Pam
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

SSDI is sure a confusing and maddening subject. We pay into the fund for years and years, then have to fight like hell to get any of it back!

Quitting work scares me to death, since I live alone and my paycheck is my only income! What a catch-22, quitting scares me but I feel like I can't work full-time anymore.

I printed out these posts so I can study them tomorrow when my brain is hopefully more clear.

Thanks again!