Can Rheumys prescribe Provigil???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Heard some great things about it. Would my Rheumy be the one to talk to about it????

Hugs
    Kim
  2. teacher

teacher New Member

but you might want to try your PCP first. Don't be surprised if they want to do a sleep study before giving it to you.

teacher
  3. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I asked my rheumy for it, & he called it in, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. Figures!! They aren't the ones having trouble staying awake!
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Provigil is the only drug (other than the compounded Nexavir) that my insurance company has ever questioned.

I think they're concerned about people taking it for "recrational purposes" (e.g. normal people using it to concentrate better).

It's also somewhat expensive.

I could have gotten it approved, but it would have taken some extra work on the part of my psychopharmacologist (M.D. who specializes in prescribing psychotropic meds).
  5. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

My daughters doctor prescribed it for her when she asked about it. No fighting, nothin'. AND, her insurance paid for it right away w/ no prior authorization. (IT's $300 a month). She only has to pay $20 a month for hers! My insurance wanted a prior, & still rejected it! I'm so frustrated!
  6. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

My Rhuemy is big on Provigil, unfortunately it gave me a wicked headache every time I gave it a try.

I'm now getting a bit of morning lift with d-Ribose.

Best wishes,

Foxglove
  7. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

For those of you who are already taking it and are having to pay full price:
    I order it online and have good results. It is already made as a generic outside of the U.S.:
    Modavigil 100mg 30 Tablets US $95.00
    Modavigil 100mg 60 Tablets US $180.00
    Modavigil 100mg 90 Tablets US $255.00

Modalert 200mg 50 Tablets US $55.00
    Modalert 200mg 100 Tablets US $103.00

Notice that the generic is only $55 for 50 tablets. The REAL stuff (Modavigil) is even cheaper than buying it here.
    4 Corners Pharmay is the site. Type Provigil in their Search bar. This is a reputable pharmay. I have used it for years.
  8. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Does anyone that was NOT APPROVED have Care First/Blue Choice by chance? That is who I have.

Also, I go back to pain management in 2 weeks, was wondering if he could/would prescribe it too?

Thanks for your help!
    Kim
  9. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Sad to say but I worked for BC/BS for years and years.

They have taken a hard stand against paying for Provigil unless dx is narcolepsy. My rhuemy is writing our congressmen, state health commissioner and BC/BS about his success with certain subsets of CFS/FM patients.

My personal experience with this med was BAD. Gave me a horrible headache and I tried it 3 different times. Sure it'll keep you awake and give your body and mind a false sense of well being but in the end if you're very ill with CFS...........watch out for the CRASH, it's horrible. I'm far too virally affected to be using Provigil or stimulants when I'm this ill. It's like telling a person with the flu to get up and get moving when bedrest is really the best medicine.

Ahhhh,,,,,yet another doc who's willing to go the extra yard.

Foxglove
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

Any doctor can prescribe Provigil. It doesn't matter what they specialize in. So yes, your Rheumy could do it.

But you may run into the problems others have discussed here.

Maybe he/she has a sample you could try?