Can shopping put you in a flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, May 12, 2006.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

Lately I've found that a day (or few hours) of shopping can totally wipe me out by evening, and give me a lot of pain the next day. This puzzles me, because shopping isn't stressful (at least not the kind of shopping I'm talking about), and doesn't involve exceptional physical exertion.

I'm not big on clothes shopping or department stores, but this time of year I love to hit garden centers and places like Lowe's and Home Depot. The stores are about 25 miles from my home. Yesterday I was out hunting for roses. I looked forward to the trip, and enjoyed it. I found a rose that was at the top of my wish list, stopped to see a friend, and took my granddaughter to the dentist.

I got home at 6:00 p.m., and by 9:00 I was so exhausted that I felt sick. This morning I woke up with everything hurting. This seems to happen every time I have a similar excursion. I guess I should try cutting down the number of stores and the duration of the outing. But with gas prices the way they are, I like to combine errands as much as possible.

Does this happen to you, too?

Thanks,
    Suze
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS, and I find that anything can send me into a flare. It can be shopping or just taking my son to the park. I spent the day at my mother's house yesterday with my son..she watched him while I took a final exam for school (I'm in college). Well, we took JJ to the park for about an hour. We got home, ate lunch, and I just crashed on the couch. By the time I got home, it kept getting worse and worse. The low-grade fever came on in no time, and now this morning I'm still feeling it. It's a shame that things that are so simple for most people put a dark cloud over us for days.

The best thing to do is to pace yourself. When you know that you've got an appointment that day and you have other errands you have to run, go to the appointment first. Afterwards, if you're feeling too sick, go home and rest a bit. Especially if it's something that doesn't need to be done ASAP, it's okay to put it off for a day or two until you are able to.

Gentle healing hugs. Just rest and allow yourself to recover. Your body is telling you that it was a bit too much, so now just listen to your body.

Kim
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

afternoon after work. Now, Im doing good if I can leave the house at all. I was one of those who checked sales and clipped coupons and thought nothing of going to 2-3 stores at a time.

Even though we all share the same diseases here, there are different levels for each. I had to leave work Oct of 2004. It broke my heart. I loved my job and unless they find a cure, I know I can never work again. I try to do grocery shopping every 2 wks and then only at one store. For the last 2 Christmases, my husband went with me(for the first time)into Goodys when they were having a sale, and bought all of the men the same shirts, in different colors and the girls sweaters in different colors.

This new life is hard and its harder still to accept that this is the way it is. I dont think I helped you but remember, we understand here and you can talk to us anytime,

Suzette
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

by shopping on line.Almost all stores have this available,even grocery stores.I can't drive anymore because I nod off.

I never thought that I would count groceries as a big thing to do........Also,I bought a wheelchair at goodwill and it extends my day considerably.Linda
  5. darude

darude New Member

I quit all shopping six months ago after a horrible reaction in Safeway. I got dizzy and sick from the smells and had to leave half way thru. My husband goes now.
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I use to love to just window shop .I have not been able to do that in about 6 years.
    I went to the grocery today the first time in several months (hubby done it alone for about 6 years)
    I did all my christmas with QVC and other catalogs.When I was going to the store I would have panic attacts and just get so overwelmed.
    I also have IBS and would have to go to a bathroom several times while I was in a store.I was affraid they would think I was shop lifting.
    I would be sooo sick by the time I'd get finish I would end up in bed for a week.
    I miss going out and making a day of things like the hairdresser and running arrons and going to check out new stores.
    I have my own car ,no kids at home and could do anything I wanted but because of this DD, I am home doing very little.
    I am hoping that my new meds will help my pain so I can even just run and get coffee once in a while.
    I do drive to my doctor now something I was unable to do a year ago.I am doing little things but the days of a long list of things are over.
    I'm just thankful for a day at a time.I'm 53 but my activity level is probably that of a 79 year old.I pray one day to wake up and be able to get some of that independence back.
  7. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i dread doing it. on a good day i can go and fill up the cart. but it's taking things into the house that sets me up for a bad evening and soreness the next day.

i'm a single mom and my son is 8 so i try to do the groceries when he's in school. he does NOT like shopping of any kind, except at a toy store.

so the battle w/fm and grocery shopping comes when i leave the store and transfer the goods to the car. then from the car to the house and put all of it away.

i can already feel the muscles tightening, the back of my neck and shoulders aching and the strain in my back. all that by early evening. half the time it results in a flare.

i can relate for certain....
  8. libra55

libra55 New Member

those stores for teens like Abercrombie and Fitch, or Hollister, or Aeropostale? The music is so LOUD it could make you scream. After a day of that I am ready for the funny farm.

Not to mention the prices........

When I go to get gas I get the full serve even though it costs more. I found a discount gas station and they will pump the gas for you. And I always go to the drive-up pharmacy window for my prescriptions. That saves energy for me. Somedays my body hurts so badly every time I get out of the car it's a major effort. Or I bring one of the kids along and send them into the store with the money and the list. They're old enough to do it. There is a small family grocery right near me and I was able to set up an account with them after I explained my situation. All I have to do is send the kid in with a check (signed by me) and the store will fill in the rest. They are honest and have been in business over 40 years so I trust them to do it. Many nights they have saved my butt as far as dinner is concerned.

My husband goes to the warehouse club store for me so at least I don't have to do that. The lights and the noise is so awful, and it's so darn big, and they keep moving the products around. I just get used to one layout and they move the stuff. We get all our paper products and toiletries there.

I remember years ago when the kids were little, Toys R Us at Christmastime would just about freak me out. One year I had a panic attack and ran out the store leaving behind a cartfull of toys. (My husband later went back for them; he was very patient about it although he is not always so).

Online shopping is great too.

If I have to go do big shopping of any kind I try to go at an off hour when it's not too busy.

Michelle
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I can walk into Walmart feeling ok and within 15 minutes I am in a horrible flare. There have been times when I have had to sit on the floor because I am so exhausted and have so much pain that I can't walk.

I agree with HaleyCole. The external stimulus of lights, noises and odors really affect some of us.

Lolalee[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2006]
  10. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Sue, I have this problem. I thought i was the only one..so I won't talk about it, especially family, they won't understand..how some kind of shopping have a persons body with aching and pain. I find its the walking and trying on clothes..thats exercises to me. My doctor tell me to walk all the time, but, when i walk..I gotta deal with all the other sideffects from walking. Such as: swollen ankles,knee pain, shooting pain during the nite and can't sleep..etc. Once, I told the dr..if u can find a solution to me walking with no pain afterwards..iam all in for walking..if u can't find a solution..speak not. I have found out a drs can nagg all the time..unless they have to experience what we have to go thur and deal with..they will never understand our situation.
  11. lucy1953

lucy1953 New Member

I cannot believe the sharp pains I get in my ribs when I am shopping.
    After about an hour of walking on the hard ceramic tiles is about all I can take
  12. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

NOT! LOL

I went out today and did some shopping for my trip and it was a nice day, warm, and beautiful and I have not been out since last Tuesday.

I went to Walmart and well that gave me a great reminder of WHYY to never shop there on the weekends but I had to get things done.

Anyway I went out the movies with my folks and oooh myy the pain is horrendous, I had to hold onto my mom for support so that I wouldn't fall. However I strive to go out and get fresh air and change of scenery. It gets boring for me to be in the house all day and all night and can't get very far sometimes.

I have been trying the O24 Fibromyalgia and that helps a little, I smell oh so wonderful and no one can be around me either, I wonder if it would be a good insect propellant (sp?).

Anyway I shop online for some things. Clothes, shoes, stuff like that I am forced to go shop as I am tall and well not everything fits well.

I am sorry you hurting so much and hope you will be able to feel better sooner than ever!
  13. Suze

Suze New Member

I'm so glad I posted this! I'd forgotten about stuff like fluorescent lights (yuck!) and too much noise, etc. It's been years since I was actively aware of being bothered by those things, but this insidious DD can rear up and remind us in a hurry. And I think just the act of getting in and out of the car repeatedly takes a toll.

I also wasn't making the connection between chemicals (as in garden centers) and pain the next day. I guess I figured if it didn't bother me at the moment, I was home free. I should know better!

Thanks again - Happy Mother's Day to all,

Suze
  14. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

shopping im serious i cant walk around shops sadly because my CFS,ME,FMS & the other 38 illnesses are very very severe.
    I used to love shopping i have to hire a mobility scooter midweek or i cant go shopping.
    At weekends the hire shop is shut so shopping is a no can do activity.
    I
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

sure does big time!
    I cant go shopping unless im on a mobility scooter i can hire 1 midweek & i have my own which i use locally.
    If i go into town & start walking im screaming in absolute crippling agony the pain is unbearable.
    At weekends i cant go to town because i cant walk around so i relax at home doing various things.
    Like reading,listening to music playing with & cuddling my 2 cats whom are my babies.
    Fibrolady37.