Can Someone Explain about Social Security Disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marinemom, Aug 29, 2002.

1. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hi everyone

I've been reading the posts, and I know that my cousin back home in NC is on SSI for fibro. But, I don't understand the works of it. I was just dx within the last couple of weeks or so, but I don't work, and really haven't tried to find a job. Now I know why, of course, but just wondered about the SSI.

Smiles
    Kathy
  2. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hi everyone

I've been reading the posts, and I know that my cousin back home in NC is on SSI for fibro. But, I don't understand the works of it. I was just dx within the last couple of weeks or so, but I don't work, and really haven't tried to find a job. Now I know why, of course, but just wondered about the SSI.

Smiles
    Kathy
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

To begin with there are two separate types of SS for which you might qualify. SSDI is disability insurance. SSI is for the indigent.

The best place to get good info on both of these is on the home page of this website. Scroll down the right side of the page and click on disability and read away.

I hope this helps.

Barbara
  4. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Thanks for your help! I get so very confused about all of this.

But, after reading some of that, I have discovered that they will use my Husband's income against me. He doesn't make riches, but it's a good income, so I have a feeling that SSI would laugh in my face. We also have company insurance that covers MOST of my needs.

As everyone knows, the more money you make, the more money you spend, and that's the case here. But I don't have control over the finances, so I was just wanting to have a little money to call my own. Oh well.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. It answered my questions.

Just found out last night that we will be moving. I wanted to wait and take my 12 yo out of school at the Thanksgiving break, but hubby wants to move in ONE month. We have a 3 bedroom house with a garaged packed full too! He works, travels with his job, and is rarely home, so guess who has to do all the packing?! I'm so depressed I want to just find a corner and sit and cry for hours. And I would too, except I wouldn't be able to get back up after my pity party was over! God, how I hate this stuff. I admire those of you who have had this for years and years. I don't know how you deal with it. There are days here that I'm ready to jump off the refridgerator! Dealing with a headstrong son, a part-time husband, and a son over seas is enough to drive anyone crazy! The sad part, is that for me, it would be such a short drive!!!!! =)

(((((((((((((Hugs to all)))))))))))))))))

Kathy