Can someone help me understand what these tests are for?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellbear, Mar 7, 2003.

1. kellbear

kellbear New Member

I have a script for blood tests that check for CBC, FLP, T3H, FT4, Sed Rate, Rheum profile, Vit B12, Ferritin?

I just want to know so I am more informed on what is happening to me from now on. Thanks
  2. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Sorry- I used to have a link to medical tests site that explained it all very well, but it looks like I deleted it in one of my 'brain fog'moments. If you use a search engine, such as google, you may be able to find it or a similar site.
    ***Pixie***
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

To add to the above, Rheum Profile is probably a sedimentation rate (ESR), an antinuclear antibody test (ANA) and a Rheumatoid factor (RA Titer).
    Ferretin is a test for your iron level.
    KLutzo
  4. jodiehopeful

jodiehopeful New Member

This test is done to check for excess iron in your body. I have hemocometosis and I have this test done regularly and because my iron count is so high I have blood taken out to control it. My brother found out he had this and they asked all the family to be tested. I am the only one that has it. It can cause joint pain because the iron can collect in joints and vital organs. This can be serious if not treated but not if you stay on top of it. Don't worry about this one. It is good they are testing you because many people have it and never get diagnosed. Hope things go well for you.
    Jodie
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

your B-12 is being tested for pernicious anemia. The ferritan also checks for iron. My mother had hemachromatosis and I finally had the DNA test to rule that out. I'm a carrier, but won't get it myself, so I no longer should need the ferritan level checked. Sorry if my spelling is off, I'm off tonight. dolsgirl
  6. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I think there is a site where you can research lab tests, I know that I've used it. It might be webmd? You could also do a search for blood tests or lab tests too. All those abbreviations get confusing. Good luck

WendyC