can someone help me??? with thyroid test results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Mar 1, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

can someone help me??? 03/01/03 06:23 PM

I can't figure out these lab test. Here are the results:
    T3 uptake= 30.0, T4= 7.6, TSH= 0.6, Doc said normal! I do not feel normal?? Are these levels low, high, anyone have any ideas?
    thanks for the replys. Going to check out the sites recommended.
    Judy

2. Genie42

Genie42 New Member

Hi, do you have fibro? if so it appears that people with fibro will often test normal on their Thyroid but not feel normal at all! for some reason even thought it says that we are still low but most Dr.s wont pay any attention to that.there is a paper available here at immune support talking about this, I am going to put this link here, hope it works.:
    http://www.immunesupport.com/library/print.cfm?ID=4320

if this doesn't work let me know and I will email it to you.the 7th paragraph addresses just this issue.
  3. Zappedme

Zappedme New Member

I think I found what you're looking for. Copy & paste this address:

(Edited to remove URL)

Let me know if you can't get there.

Zappedme

4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

thanks for the articles. I printed them off and will take to the doc. Yes, I have fibro. Yuk!
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I am confused also. I am reading books and articles about the lab test numbers and mine do not make sense. Well...I have an appt next week. will ask them to go over the numbers for me. In the meantime if anyone can help decifer these numbers I would apreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Judy
  6. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Some labs use different ranges for their tests. Look at the test score and it should show low-high according to their testing scales. Your Dr. may be able to clarify all this more, but I do know of people who have normal test and do have thyroid difficulties.
  7. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i have a book that says that a TSH of .6 and below is hyperthyroid.
    T3 total normal is 80 to 220 and Free T3 normal is 2.3 to 4.2.
    T4 normal is 4.5 to 12.5.
    your T4 isnormal,but it could be higher . i don't know for sure but if the T3 is referring to total T3 then you are very low. but your TSH indicates hyperthyroid ! so i'm probably not helping ! if the T3 refers to free T3 then you would be hyper. Are you over or underweight ? Do you feel cold and sluggish ?
    pinkquartz
  8. TKE

TKE New Member

.....in the hyper range & you can still be hypo! I was. For me to feel normal my TSH has to be in or below the hyper range. However the TSH test is the LAST test I'd rely on. It's the T4 & T4 tests that you really need to go by. The Free T4 & T3 tests show what is available for your body to utilize. The "Total" T4 & T3 shows whats in your body, but not all can be utilized. If your T3 is showing low & T4 is fine, then you are probably NOT converting T4 hormone into the much needed T3 hormone. Same thing happened to me when I hit my mid to late 30's. I went 6 years gradually getting worse & worse, while my 2 Endo's kept telling me I was fine, the picture of health, TSH showed "normal". Yeah right...NOT!! About 3 years ago I finally found out I was not converting T4 into T3. I now take 5 mg of Cytomel twice a day. Has made a world of difference for me.

There's has been some suggestion that as women enter the menopause stage of life & estrogen declines thyroid hormones get messed up too. There's some connection, but they haven't figured it out yet.

I'd highly suggest that you get a "copy" if your test report. I get copies of all tests I have run. I like to keep copies of my own health files.

TKE