Can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Misfit101, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Before my DH gets home? He bought me a bougainvilla bc Ive been yammering on about them ever since reading some other posts. I have no idea what to do with this plant. I dont know how theyll do in Okla. I called the garden center and she said they like lots of sun (not a problem) but not a lot of water (maybe a problem). I love this plant--the flowers are gorpeous. I wont let him plant it until Im confident I know what Im doing. Thanks in advance to anyone who troubles themselves to respond. Rebecca
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Just stick it in the ground. You can't kill it. If they sell it in your area, then it must be ok.

We get hurricanes and the B survives that.

Oh but the cold thing....well. Just tell him that it probably need to be cut back before
    frost! They don't like cold.

There you are an expert. I'll go over it again.

1. hole in the ground
    2. Sun
    3. Water but not daily
    4. Cut back before 1st frost.

That should do it.

3. spacee

spacee Member

I am wondering it they sell them there just for spring/summer/fall and don't expect them
    to survive the cold.

Like an annual. Just saying. So, if it doesn't survive the will know that they
    sell the BV for that purpose.

4. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I appreciatd the info. She didnt say anything about the cold, and I didnt think to ask. We have mild winters some years and brutal ones other years. Ive noticed an increase in the number of ice storms lately. Lived here 15yrs and never saw 1. Now were averaging 1 every 3yrs or so. Ill probably lose this beautiful plant if that happens. Ill try cutting it back if a harsh winter threatens. Thank you again. I do appreciate it.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

I'ts not a small plant. I would give it plenty of room.

6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

She left that part out too. I guess Im going to have to do the best I can with what Ive got. :) thanks
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

It gets burnt by frost easily... ours died back to the ground here and we never got near freezing, just ambient hard frosts at about 37-8 degrees.

They wouldn't grow year-round near Atlanta where it does freeze but overall more temperate than OK. My pansies and decorative kale lived all winter, even with light snow because it always melted off within a few hours.

So- IMHO- I think you should look at this as a seasonal plant - enjoy it while you can! If you have a place for it, keep it in a big pot and bring it in before the first frost, it might survive til spring tho it probably won't do much during winter...

It's good you bought it now tho - you've got all summer to baby it and enjoy it!

LOL what is it they say - one man's weed is another man's prize - or something like that... ;)

all the best