Can someone tell me if testosterone cream works or not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

My doctor has prescribed .2% testosterone cream applied 3 times a week. It comes from a pharmacy that does compounding.

The reason the doctor prescribed it is because I told him I was having terrible trouble in the "romance" department. I could care less, but my husband doesn't share my thoughts!

So far I've used it for about 3 weeks, and I see no effects either good or bad.

I did a search to see what others have posted about this subject, and read some good things, but would like to know more.

I would like someone to tell me if they have used the cream ( not along with anything else), and if it worked or not. If it worked, how long did it take?

I don't expect to be a ball of fire, but just to have some help in that department.

What experience has anyone had with this dosage??

Thanks, Kinsie
  2. sdown

sdown New Member

Did they check your adrenal glands? If your hormones are out of whack that will definitely affect your sex drive. I was diagnosed with Addison's disease (adrenal gland exhaustion 4 years ago). They should check your cortisone level and DHEA level. Im taking 25 mg a day of cortef and 25 mg a day of DHEA. Did they also check your thyroid? Vitamin E helps in that department too. Taken in pill form. I also take a product called PADMA which helps me alot with circulation. Its a supplement (a tibetan formula). Good luck!
  3. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

To tell you the truth, no, I didn't get any of those things checked that you mentioned. It was my gynocologist that prescribed the testosterone. I wonder if I should see my "regular" doctor to get these tests done??!!

Kinsie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2006]
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm not taking it for the um, *romance* department stuff, but I will tell you what I know...

I'm not sure what percentage testosterone this cream is [Edit: I checked, and it is 20 MG/ML], but I use 1/4 [Edit: ml is the unit] every night. And not that I've had a lot of opportunity to test this, but to date, I'd say getting to the 'high point' of an evening's festivities (if you get my drift) takes less than 1/2 the time -- maybe even just 1/3 of the time -- that it has in the past.

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2006]
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've heard amazing things about it, if, your testosterone really is low. Oprah had a big special all about it.

You can get your regular doc to run various hormone tests, so You do know what you really are dealing w/, since the gyny just assumed w/out testing.

I have to put in a big plug for natural treatment. I'm taking natural adrenal and multiglandular supplements w/ great results. Not just for sexdrive, but for energy, much better mood and better bowel function. Not only that but I've suffered from severe SAD for decades and the glandulars have made a huge dent in depression for me, along w/ the lightlamp I finally ordered this winter. I'm actally going to lower my a.d. I'm feeling so well (despite FM pain, etc) and I would normally be barely alive and functional this time of year.

jeanne
  6. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I appreciate your replies!

Kinsie
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I read somewhere that it can take several weeks (I forget exactly how long) to notice anything. I think for me it was close to 2 months before I noticed anything, but it did make a difference. My doctor prescribed 3% cream, which I gather is stronger than usual, but my testosterone levels had been undetectable.

Also, other people gave you good advice about general glandular support which may help too.

Mary