Can streptococcus B cause CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jo29, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

My pregnant daughter just found out that she has streptococcus B. It sounds like it can be very serious to her and the baby.

She is being treated with antibiotics and will be treated during her labor.

She was diagnosed with CFS about a year ago and I was wondering if the streptococcus B could have attributed to that?

I am so ignorant when it comes to viruses and bacteria. The streptococcus B is a bacteria? She is evidently a carrier.

I had never heard of it until yesterday.

Could anyone enlighten me on this.

2. z2rus

z2rus New Member

Anything that can enrage your immune system has certain possibility to cause CFS.
    Streptococcus B and other infection can.

Certain types of antibiotics are dangerous.
    Some antibiotics are safe for use throughout pregnancy, while others are completely contraindicated. Choosing the proper antibiotic requires balancing the seriousness of the infection with the antibiotic's safety and antimicrobial activity.

Since some antibiotics have adverse effects on the developing fetus, choosing an antibiotic requires consideration of the effects on both the mother and the unborn child. For new drugs, current recommendations for use in pregnancy are based on animal studies. Occasionally, epidemiologic research reveals adverse effects from a drug once considered safe for use in pregnancy. The safety of many antibiotics varies with the period of gestation and the maturity of the fetus.
  3. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

My daughter is on amoxicillin 500mg 2xa day. I don't know what she will be on during labor.

Thanks again for your info.

Jodi
  4. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

You have helped me so much to understand what is going on with her. I called her and told her what you said. We are both grateful to you for taking time to answer my question.

Hugs,

Jodi
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2006]
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I agree that having CF can make a person more suseptable to 'catching other things'
    including group B strep.
    Its fairly common ,although I had never heard of it untill my sister had it during one of her pregnancys~

your daughters pregnancy should be
    high risk and every precaution should be used by her OBGYN.
    Do NOT let the drs. shrug it off as nothing at all to worry about. It can be extrememly dangerous to the baby.

Antibiotics(IV) should be given during labor.
    Sometimes this form of strep can cause premature births,and or rupture of the water.
    ( any kind of 'leaking' should be reported to her dr. asap!)
    Many people can deliver healthy,perfectly fine babys with strep B,... if everything is carefully watched.
    Best of luck to you and your daughter,
    and future grandchild~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I pray for a safe delivery and good health for mom and baby.

Love, Mikie
  7. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I feel so much better knowing that my daughter is being given the antibiotics and is being watched by her doctors.

She has already been labeled "high risk" because of her hypothyroid. So she is being watched closely.

We had just not ever heard of streptococcus B and were scared.

Thanks again to all...

Hugs,

Jodi
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2006]