Can the mind make us better??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by levis, Dec 5, 2005.

1. levis

levis New Member

Hello all,

My friend said to me look i know your sick etc, but you can cure yourself. Eat healthier- change diet, go to the gym.

She then said to me alot of this is crap and in your mind. You need to think positive and you will become better???

Do you think this is right?? To some extent i agree that you have to try and help yourself be positive.
    But i can not help it that i feel so ill with FM!!!

Thanks
    Levis
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Sure it helps to think positive.But It has not cured me.

I also did the gym thing didn't help me,I know it helps others.

Its not all in my head.If it were why would doctor give me ocycotin and vicoden ,neuontin,sleep aid and cymbalta????

I have had FM and CFS since 2002.Maybe longer just didn't bother me as much.

You are NOT CRAZY your sick.

That is not a true friend if she can not accept that you are sick.

Hugs
    Sue
  3. lin-z

lin-z New Member

In fact she wont treat me anymore until i get "psycotherapy" i think it is because i cry alot when i have to discuss my ailments...EXCUUUUUUSE ME!!!! i am not used to being sick of course we get depressed with this dd and a pos attitude will help but the pain is real we dont "negative think" it into existence!!!
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

but I agree with Sue. A positive state of mind has so many aspects. It has to do with your situation, how much support you have, how many people you have around you that believe your illness and are there to help and so many things. It can't make these illnesses go away.

They just posted a new study on here a couple of days ago, I think it was from the Georgetown University? I can't even remember what it said now but it was more proof that these illnesses are physiological and NOT psycological. We already knew about some of the physical things that were evidence, chemical things, but that study showed even more.

If exercise and diet etc was the answer we could all do that and WOULD and would be running around all cured and thrilled to be so! Tell your friend if she thinks that "attitude"
    etc is a cure, then how about her changing hers to accept your illness as as real as cancer or any other disease. Noone would tell someone with other diseases to just change their lifestyle and they'd be cured!
    It helps anyone, but isn't a cure.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

to some extent I think shes right but,.... ??

I've been reading alot about possitive thinking and how it effects our overall well being.
    Even when we're feeling really bad/ill,.. accoarding to this possitive theory, we should will our bodys into thinking we're feeling fine/well.
    Our bodys manifest or make real everything we think about ourselves.!!???
    If we think we're sick and run down,..our bodys have no choice but to feel that way.
    so,...thinking possitve at all times is suppose to reverse anything that is'nt right.
    I try and use this as much as possible but I gotta admit,... its tough sometimes.~
    Its kinda like guided imagery.(sp?)

BTW, It has'nt cured me yet.

Hope this helps :)
    Tandy
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Oh yea,

Of all the things I've lost I miss my MIND the most :)

Positive is great I work hard at it.

But when you are being hit with so many health things at one time...well it seems my brain is the first thing that shorts out.

If it was as simple as diet, and go to the gym I don't think there would be a need for this forum!lol

Hang in there, learn what you can, try what you can, and live your life in the fullest way you can :)

And let's pray that all these folks that think they know why we are so ill never find out what it's like to live in these bodies of ours.

Take care,
    Dee50

7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Levis,
    Boy! Can I identify with what you are saying! My friends did the same to me. It comes from ignorance.

I think that a positive attitude can help keep us afloat, but I don't think it can cure us. The people that say this just have not ever been really chronically ill. They have no understanding, so they say stupid things like that.

My one time best friend said that to me, and then she bcame a diabetic. Well, she doesn't say that any more. A little experience works wonders. Although I'm sorry she is sick, at least she has a little sense of what it is not to be able to think your ills away.

Good luck. Please don't let them make you feel bad. Those of us here on the board, understand.

Hugs,
    Terry
  8. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Well, your "friend" has a point, but it definitely isn't a cure. It is true that the mind is a very powerful thing and it can have a huge impact on the rest of the body, including disease, immune system, etc.

Unfortunately, she's sounding a bit wacky (like Tom Cruise) stating that merely eating healthy, exercising, etc. will cure your illness (or all illness, etc.). It will definitely help your body and help you have more ability to fight off infection, deal with symptoms, and so on, but it will not cure the underlying problems.

I wish that our medicine industry here would have more of an open mind and take century old proof from the east though and take more of a complete mind/body approach to treating people, especially those of us with chronic conditions. We have a soup of mental and physical symptoms that are all connected and interwoven and they all have to be worked out and treated. Unfortunately, most medicine in the west only treats one or the other and doesn't work to treat the entire picture.
  9. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Levis,

In a way, your friend is partially right, we can always make ourselves feel better by eating more healthy, getting some exercise and thinking positive. Can we cure ourselves by only that route, not likely. Impossible, no, I don't think anything is impossible.

After working with this mind/body relationship now for over a year, I can say without a doubt, that I think a lot of our problems are, definitely, emotionally related. Now, I know this is a very touchy subject with a lot of people, especially after you've heard it from some of your doctors, myself included, "it's all in your head."

That statement needs to be expanded out a bit, and I hardly think any of the doctors that make that carte blanche statment really truly understand the ramifications of what they are saying.

Our mind holds infinite power. We only have to learn to cultivate it and use it. There's this guy, can't remember his name, but he has a book out where he took this one cell of water and exposed it to everything from prayer to rock music to negative thoughts, etc. Then he took high resolution pictures of what the cell looked like after being exposed to each one. Well, you can imagine that the cell of water exposed to prayer, positive thoughts, soft music is a happy little cell, perfectly formed, in harmony with it's environment.

The cell of water exposed to rock music, negative thoughts, loud noises looked like someone had taken a book and smashed it, was irregular in shape, haphazard, out of harmony. Get the picture?

I just heard on the television the other day that scientists are now coming to the conclusion that the placebo effect does work. You know, all that discussion about half the people on one drug, the other half on a sugar pill, and the people on the sugar pill would do as well as the people on the drug.

And that's because positive thinking does work, and yes, if you believe something will work, it usually does. And that's the conclusion the scientists came to. This is the trend that science is taking, quantum physics.

This is also why prayer works.

So, yes, your friend is right, but having been there, it is really, really tough to think positive when you are in so much pain and your body is so ill.

Emotional healing is so, sooooo important. Your cells hold memory, so things that happened to you even as a baby, your cells remember it, even though you may not.

If you can, just start small, take baby steps, maybe try eating a little healthier, cutting out some of the baddies, maybe a little at a time, see if you feel better.

Journaling is really, really helpful. Just get a journal and start writing. Write whatever you want and feel like, both negative and positive thoughts.

Maybe, try, just try to do a little exercise, not too much at first, but a little walk here and there.

Then, as you start feeling a little better, it's easier to make more major improvements as time goes along.

Sbilek
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is no denying that our minds and our thoughts can affect how we feel but we cannot heal simply by applying our minds to it. Also, it was not a bad mindset which made us sick. People have a strong need for rationalizing things in their environment. What they do not understand, they fear; therefore, they will try to find an explanation to ease their anxiety. Believing our illnesses are in our minds is one way for them to do this.

I did have therapy to help me learn how to be a healthy person again. My shrink told me that when one is ill a long time, one forgets how to be healthy even if physical healing is taking place. I did find it helpful but it's just one aspect of my treatment regimen. I also work on physical treatments and spiritual prayer, meditation, and enlightenment.

Love, Mikie