can they deduct child support from disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tjhoesch, Sep 19, 2003.

1. tjhoesch

tjhoesch New Member

Does anyone know for sure if they can or can't deduct back child support from your disability check? And if your check is around $800, how much child support can they make you pay? TJ
  2. duketomato

duketomato New Member

I have a buddy who pays child support. When he got SSDI his child got half of his monthly amount but it did not cut into my buddies payment. The government paid the child support on top of what my buddy got.
  3. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

should each receive a check separate from you check. When they graduate from high school........their payments stop. I don't really know about the legalities of back child support though.

Tammy
  4. baybe

baybe New Member

I am sure the federal gov't will deduct child support. I recently had my car rearended in the state of Massachusetts, before the insurance company would give me a check for the repairs they had to check with the state to make sure I didn't owe any child support, if I had they would have taken the check to apply for back child support. These laws are big time.
  5. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have a younger sister who is on disability and her checks do not get garnished, or anything. The father has custody of the children, and he recieves checks monthly/seperate for them. She owed back child support, but because of her disabilities..(mental, like schizo) she does not have to pay any back.

Could be different from state to state.