can things get worse for me? missing over 2k in checking acct.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 69mach1, May 20, 2006.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i tried to get gas w/my visa check card through my bank it was declined...then i stopped somewhere else to get money out tonight..declined...i did have cash on me so i was alright...

came home called the 24 hours service...checked to make sure my checks had all cleared...rent ect...all but two have cleared so far...those were for a credit check and half of my deposit of my supposed new appt i was to start moving into on the 26th..to sign lease date...how wonderful...

i pray that when i made a payment over the phone to my cable company the added some extra zeros...or else someone bought something really freakin nice on me...i have to wait until 6 am this morning to see who or what made this debit out of my account in one lump sum of 2040.00....

i will be canceling my visa cards for now on...and i may even consider having my account closed and ssdi check sent to me directly...

now when i am supposed to get paid my ssdi check they will be taking that on wednesday...to cover the overdraft...

i feel like throwing up and crying...tears are near..i know should take my kolnopin for sleep but i really don't think i should take it......

i pray that the cable comepany that i made a payment to over the phone using my atm visa check card out of my checking account made an error and this will be cleared up soon...

i can't make my rent at the new place if i do not have this money...plus how the heck am i supposed to eat...i do not quailify for food stamps because i make too much money...which is laughable...no child support...

i guess i will try and settle my stomach...i will take the klonopin...and go search for my comcast t.v. bill that i wrote the amoutn and date paid w/person i spoke to on it..

the weird thing was i had another lady call me up and ask me for the last three numbers on the back of my atm card..because the person that took it forgot to get it..

everything that i used the atm card for is correct and my checks written is correct...

i was lucky i just bought some food for about 102.00 tonight
    to get me buy until i got moved out of this apartment on the 28th...

i may need to stay here and not sign my new lease...go tell housing i am homeless and just have this manager write the lease in my ex-husbands name only...he is still on it now..

so it shouldn't be any big deal..

he is technically responsible is what the manager said....

anyways another hour and a half i may know if it was a theif or just an error....

everyone beware is all i can say....

jodie
  2. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi Jodie,

First, I am sorry you are going through this...It's scary, isn't it? I went through a fraud case myself and I know how I felt when I realized someone used my name to get credit and banged over $5,000 bucks on goodies...

If I read your post correctly, you paid the cable bill by phone and then someone called you back to get the 3 digit code the previous person 'forgot'...That sounds like the culprit there...Not pointing fingers, just seems likely, that's all...

I hope you get this resolved this morning...Get as much info as you can, like receipt copies faxed/emailed to you OR the numbers to the creditors that billed your card...That's if this is a theft...

May I also suggest NOT giving out further info to anyone that you contact regarding this OR that contacts YOU...The more info certain people have, the more vulnerable you become...

Let us know how you make out dear, will be thinking of ya.

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i found my cable bill that i wrote down the lady, miranda, and the amount...it was like 22.18..far off from 2040.00

the my son handed my the phone...this female claimed she was from collections and accounting and said they recieved the payment for my account and the person forgot to take down the infor of the digits on the back of my card...

i didn't think about asking for her name or i could have said i will call them directly myself so that i know i was talking to comast cable...myself..

this all took place on the same day so i didn't think it was out of character...i just hope i am covered somehow...becasue of the visa check on my atm account...but in the mean time...

i have them hold 900.00 in my account to go toward the overdraft...then they take any other funds coming my way....

in that account...this so sucks....

then i have rent due at the other apartment june first...and rent due here thur june 10th...which is about 450.00 where i am packing up at right now...

if this money doesn't come back to me by lease sign in date of now it is going to be 5/26 i can i make a promise i will have money to pay them on june 1st for rent for june...

and told me it is late one june 2...so i am sure a late fee applies...

this just puts me deeper in a hole...

i will try and figure something out...i am going to need to cancel my atm card now...i will call now...i was in shock when i heard what i had heard i couldn't make a decision on anything...

jodie
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

maybe the hack into my online account...

from comcast i do not know...right now they gave me the name and phone number..us waves...phone number has been disconnected

intersetingly address out of telaviv iseral...sorry about any mis spellings...i'm tired but yet wired!

this place has an area where you can purchase audio components that i do not now what the heck they are... to me...

i have to wait for this order to go through...it has a three day experiration but she said they can come back again looking for more money...

well this account is the one i have my ssdi direct deposited into...
    who knows who the theif is...

i'm upset and still want to cry... i feel like such a loser i can't even get moved into an apt...

i do not have my section 8 voucher yet.. i have been doing the honest thing have been waiting...until my name comes up...

been told my non-mprofits and people who have done this to get there vouchers here in my county...go get po box...thell them you are homeless even though you are not...go stay at a hotel...and then they will give you one...

well i am not too far off...

my son has all his things off his wall and in boxes...he is at his father's right now will be here in bout 8 hours...they were going to help get the doors and walls patched up nail holes...i have done some myself...

jodie
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i do have a few credit cards but i do not want to have to use them for rent...not to mention i have ssa screwing up my payments of lackof and saying i owe over 8k for worker's comp lump sum payment of 2750...subtract attorney fees of 330 brings it down to 2400 app...well i deal with that last year and they are still telling me i woe it again...

oh boy

jodie
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

direct deposit of my ssdi check into my account and i have to call the state to cancel direct deposit of child support into my checking account...i guess they do not know if they got my atm number or checking acct. or both but they said usually it;s on or the other in most cases...

i will file a report w/police and see what they can do for me...

i do not think can get any help from any where else...parents forget it...i
    am considered dead to them...by them...

jodie
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

California used to have a program to assist crime victims. Haven't heard aything about it for years. If you can find the energy (or have a helpful friend) check w/ the state and see if the program is still in effect. You might be eligible for some financial assistance.

I just get so angry when I hear about criminals and what they do to people. The world is tuff enuff w/o people deliberately hurting other people.
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i'm flaring, typical stuff w/stress...

i called my crdit card company...i have three thru them...no one has used them...

i called comcast cable about an hour ago...spoke w/lady there she said they do not ask for the numbers on the back of our visa or mastercard or visa check cashing out of your atm's the way their system is set up...she said the payment already went thru...

but it is odd that it hasn't posted to my checking account...i will be calling them again...bank that is...luckily they have 24 hr phone service...real people to talk to....

my mastercard gave me an additional increase of 500.00 so that would help out for me...if i want to use it...

since i have been a customer in good standing....

i think somewhere either someone is intercepting comcast phone payments thru their computer or it is an inside job out of their....i do not know..but that is where it went. wrong...

so i think i will have my ssdi check mailed to the new po box for now on...i just set that up last week...

i may need to stay where i am living for now...atleast i have a good repore w/my manager... and it would take them a while to really evict me...and he has said a few months ago if i ever get in a bind that he would be willing to workout payment arrangements...

i have until friday to work out the move before i have to sign the new lease at the other place....i would be out 130.00 if i do not sign the lease....at this point...

well i should get off the post and post another one...more happy news....
    i'm being sarcastic

jodie
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Just a thought .My daughter had this happen to her.She had done some shopping on line.It was an employee.

They caught the person that stole my daughters 6000.00.She got her money back from her bank.It was Fleet bank than now bank of America.

Because the money was stolen due to fraud the bank gave her the money that she lost.

Maybe you can check it out with your bank.

And again it is sad that this has happened to you.

Take care.

Sue
  10. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

just last month my bank called, and said that my visa checking card had been compramised in some way and they would issue me a new one,
    well I ask her what went wrong, if someone tried to use it or what. she didn"t know but your card is suppose to be ins. so check into it and ask for a new card.
    I was upset but it came out fine. I have a new card and no. Sixtyslady
  11. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

jodie,

I read your post last night just before getting off line. I did not respond but this morning, after the Worship Board, I wanted to read your post first, in hopes of reading some good news. Bless your heart; I don't know what to say. I just know that it's sad that anyone could do something like this to another human being, thinking they might get away with it but believe me, "what goes around, comes around" and that is SO true.

PLEASE keep us posted as I sill have hopes of hearing some good news from you.

BlueSky555
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Jody I'm sorry you are going thu this.I had someone call my house and ask for my husbands ss number and some other personal information they said they were calling from the phone company and we had an outstanding bill which I knew was not the truth. I told them they were nuts I wouldnt give them any information.About a week after that someone called and said I had an outstanding hospital bill for my son ,that also was a lie my kids are all on their own insurance.They may come back trying to get more information so be careful.
    Thank you for shareing your story it may help someone from this happening to them because you pre warn about a new scam.
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sorry for all you are going through with this.

I had fraud from Amazon.com on one of my cc and got a letter from Amazon.com and was able to contact my cc and cancel my cc. But it took about 2 weeks to get another cc, because they made a mistake and didn't send me one right away.

We were able to use other cc's we had, so it is always nice to have several different cc cards.

I do my bankling online so if anything funny is going on, I would see it pretty quickly. Hubby pays bills by mail and drops the payments off at the PO instead of mailing them from our mailbox here, which is at the end of the driveway.

I hope you get your money back soon. I feel so badly for you and all you are going through.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. mom4three

mom4three New Member

Banks usually credit you the money back after they do the investigation and find it is fraud. I have WAMU and there was a debited amount that I had not made. They filed a report confirmed I did not make it and was credited the amount.
    Try and ask your bank if they will do that for you.

So sorry Hun...
  15. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

There is a federal law. You are only responsible for up to $50 for credit card fraud per card. Learned this while my wallet was stolen at work years age. However, most credit cards will give you back 100%

There are no laws for debit cards.[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]
  16. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I was frauded in January. I had to police report it, then go to my bank that holds the VISA and fill out a form claiming that I did not use the money. The bank will reimburse the monies since they are responsible to the account holder. This is how VISA told me to deal with it. It worked.

Good luck,

Lena
  17. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Jodie:

Sorry to hear of your problems. We had a similar problem with my mom and her checking account last year. I learned a great deal about fraud. I have a few pointers for you.

1) If you have not told the VISA/bank people that you gave someone your security digits, do not. Do not lie to them, but they do not need to know the details.

2) File a police report. Especially since it could be on-going. Make sure that the police report is complete.

3) Contact the credit agencies to have your social security number tagged for "potential fruad". They will need the bank info as well as the police report.

4) Talk to your bank about reducing your account to their minimum ($1.00 or whatever) so that your SSDI direct deposit can continue to get into the account until you can get a new account. The bank should be able to do this all for you, and it is usually part of their services.

5) Check what your liability is on your check card. Usually it is $50 max. Most banks now advertise that they will get the money back into your account within 24 or 48 hours. Ask them to do this for you.

KEEP all of your paperwork on this fraud. You would be surprised at what could happen days, weeks, months or even years from now.

Good luck to you and hope you can work it all out. Also, be honest with your new landlord, and hopefully they can help you out as well.

Ingrid