Can we talk seizure activity again?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kylesmom, Jan 4, 2006.

1. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for. I have had (since well before my CFS diagnosis) an abnormal EEG that indicated seizure activity, but to my knowledge, I'm not actually having a seizure. I don't have any symptoms of it that I can tell at all. Is this similar to what others of you have experienced when you talk about seizure activity, or are you actually having symptoms along with the abnormal brain activity?

Mostly I'm just curious. Thanks.
  2. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

but wanted to bump
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I was diagnosed with seizures a little over a year ago. They did an EEG and found seizure activity.

The neuro started asking me questions and we realized that I had been having seizures for years, just didn't know what it was. I have petit maul and absence seizures.

One type of experience is suddenly having black close in from outer edge to middle of my eyes. Then I feel like I can't get my breath or swallow. Only last about 5 to 10 seconds. I can still see and think, but get slightly sick to my stomach when it happens. I didn't know it was a seizure, thought everyone did it!

There were other things like stopping in the middle of a conversation and then just picking it up again like I never stopped. Losing track of what is being said in a meeting and not realizing I was "gone". Suddenly seeing stars with out moving my head (like when you bendover or get up too fast, but without moving).

I also sometimes see things that aren't there and smell things that aren't there, too.

I take Lamactil and the episodes have really quieted down. When I have the closing in seizure now I barely recognize what is happening before it is over.

So, try to talk to the neuro about things like that if they are happening to you. I have a wonderful neuro, hope you do too!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

bumping for Kylesmom
  5. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

kylesmom,

(I copied from greenbean because she described it so well)

I was diagnosed with seizures a year ago. They did an EEG and did NOT find seizure activity. Then they hooked up a holter monitor to my head for 4 days. Talk about yucky.

The neuro read the results from the monitor and said I was having seizures night and day. I also have petit mal and absence seizures.

One type of experience is suddenly having black close in from outer edge to middle of my eyes. My seizures last about a minute. I can still see and think. I did know it was a seizure but for some reason my Neuro didn't do the holter monitor test until I took my Mom to an appointment with me and she described my seizures to him. Otherwise he is a great doctor. He has always done the tests that I requested and works with me about meds.

There were other things like stopping in the middle of a conversation and then just picking it up again like I never stopped. Losing track of what is being said and not realizing I was "gone". I however do go down and have "mini" seizures.

I also sometimes see things that aren't there and smell things that aren't there.

I take Lamactil and Neurontin and the episodes have for the most part quieted down.

Dee

[This Message was Edited on 01/05/2006]