Can whiplash make CFS worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Jun 23, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

I was having a recurrence of CFIDS (for over a year), when I suffered a whiplash injury 3 weeks ago.

If you already have CFIDS, what happens? Do the symptoms necessarily worsen, or last longer, as a result?

Just wondering if anyone experienced a physical trauma, such as whiplash, once she or he had CFIDs?

Thanks for your responses.

Anna
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Any stress to our bodies can put us into a flare. No one can say how long it will last or how severe it will be. Take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

Love, Mikie
  3. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I don't know about CFS, but I've read there are a significant number of fibromyalgia cases diagnosed after neck injuries. I would probably guess that you are worse due to the whiplash.
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

whiplash, Sorry not good at remember names, another theroy is that, many with CFS end up with both and it is possible but, if it's only been 3 weeks and I asume you were in a car accident then the rest of your body may not have fully recoverd. Does you doc also do FMS care. I'd ask them.

Good luck and take care, Kim
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I hope you are getting some treatment for your whiplash, maybe with an excellent chiropractor and/or physiotherapist and rehab?

Some people can be asymptomatic from whiplash and then 6 wks later realize they have some problems, which can be more difficult to treat when they have waited.

There is a very real chance in my opinion that it can worsern your CFS, so I hope you do everythign in your power to get your neck back as much as possible to pre-whiplash functioning.

A friend of mine had CFS prior to a car accident and sufferred severe whiplash and he now has more severe cognitive difficulties and has trouble sitting in certain positions and driving is now difficult for him, probably because of the bumping around int he car, and he finds concentrating for the drive in the city difficult.

Please document your daily experience in case you need to deal with insurance in the future.

But, if the whiplash is only mild, you might be okay and so don't worry too much, please.

If you can, perhaps some internet research might be worth your while.

Hope you don't get worse. A positive attitude is probably helpful, eh?

Jen