Can You Answer Me This One?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Aug 6, 2010.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Anyone know? I usually feel less exhausted and achey from about two o'clock in the afternoon until bedtime. Why does it ease later in the day? This is especially true when I'm at my worst--like today. Had to cancel everything (which wasn't much) I had planned to do this morning because I was so tired, short of breath, and achey. Now I'm beginning to feel human again. I don't get it. Do you? MsE
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I generally feel a bit better later in the day. I don't seem to get moving until 2pm or it is 3pm and I'm still in my jammies. No matter what I do, I'm always feeling awful the first several hrs of the day.

I've always been a "late bird"...never a morning person. I've tried adjusting meds, supps, etc to different times of the day, but never any difference. I can drink a whole pot of coffee and still go right back to sleep! I can't seem to find any energy lately, even when I've tried Provigil and stimulant meds. I'm hating "life" right now, too weak, fatigued and depressed to do much of anything but rest most of the time.

Sorry, no answers here, but I'll check back to see if anyone has any ideas.

xo Hermit
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

I used to be a morning person--before this dd. I'm sorry you have the same problem, but am sort of relieved to know I'm not alone.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

No, I haven't had cortisol levels checked. It is very difficult to get my doctor do schedule tests. Has to do with the local hospital's running most of the clinics and fighting for medicare dollars. However, when I see him again, I'll ask. He has never suggested it.
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, MsE.

The best cortisol testing is saliva testing, done every four hours around the clock. Conventional docs do blood tests, and these aren't amenable to measuring the variation throughout the day, which is what you really need to understand what's going on. Diagnos-Techs offers a test of this type. SabreScience has one that includes midnight and 4 a.m. as well as the 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. measurements that Diagnos-Techs includes.

Best regards,

6. MsE

MsE New Member

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.
  7. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I used to be a morning person and got worse as the day went on, now it's reversed. My doctor asked me if I was tired in the morning when he was working on my adrenals. I never asked why, but thanks glenp and richvank for the info on cortisol.

(One weird thing, it don't know if it's connected--if I wake up during the 5:00 hour I feel bad mentally and physically. It's only during that hour. 3:00 hour, 4:00, 6:00, no problem. Weird. I call it the witching hour)
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Same here, use to be a morning person but no more. If fact there are days I can't do anything.
    I do seem to do better in the evening if there is going to be a better.

I have a dental appointment Wed. have had to cancel twice so I am praying I can make it this time.. have to , lost a filling..

Cortisol, I had mine tested , blood and urine it was normal .. but the "spit" test I had done back in 2006 showed my cortisol was very low in the morning and higher in the evening. I went to a Natural therapist for the "spit" test.. He said I was half dead in the morning. He put me on supplements for my adrenal glands but didn't help..

I am inclined to go along with Jamin could be the thyroid..

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone..

9. MsE

MsE New Member

The last thyroid test (and they did the whole panel including the one that is usually skipped) showed all is well. However, I have my doubts. I take thyroid daily and I know it is something that builds up in the system. Does it take all day for a morning dose of thyroid to "hit"? But if that's it, why doesn't it last longer than two or three hours? However, I am going to see the doc again before September, and I'll try to talk him into checking it again. I'll also ask him again about the adrenal test, but I doubt I'll have much luck there.

I still haven't found a local naturalpath. The idea flew out of my mind--as so many ideas do. So, today I'll check the phone book and my insurance providers booklet.

10. quanked

quanked Member

energy levels fluctuate in tems of when I have my highest energy level (ha, not very high) at any given hour during a 24 hr period. Sometimes I do not get going until in the evening. And, of course, some days I never get going. Not to say that my "getting going" every amounts to much!

I try very hard not to ever make morning appointments. I just scheduled a podiatrist appointment today and I am in horrid pain--sometimes I can hardly walk--but I put the appointment a few more days away because I cannot do the mornings. When I kid myself and schedule an a.m. appointment I usually cancel, and if I do not I pay for the rest day and sometimes the next.

This issue makes my life so unpredictable.
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

You too? I thought I was the queen of making and breaking morning appointments! My excuse is seldom that the pain isn't manageable; it is that it is too hard to stand up straight and walk.
    And I'm with you: "And, of course, some days I never get going." Right on! My recliner is my best friend! Oh what the heck! This, too, shall pass--at least for awhile. It just has to pass by September 'cause I have a big trip planned, fool that I am. Time for some positive imaging around here.