can you describe how a flare hits you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Nov 2, 2012.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Most of the time I start noticing a little achy feeling then wham.....I hurt all over. Anxiety has also reared it's ugly head the last couple of days.

I also have spinal stenosis around the neck area and other degenerative areas so at times, like right now, the pain suddenly hits me all over like a mack truck hit me. I've got all my rice filled things heated and strapped to me, ice pack around my neck, and have had to take a tramadol. Is this a FM flare or something else?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2012]
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

I also used to notice the increase in general ache before a more disabling widespread pain but my hands were the indicator, they got very stiff and sore in the wrists, often, prior to that I got diarrhea or gut disturbance.

For me the increased pain was always preceded by one of two things, over doing it or gut disturbance. I don't know whether the gut problem was a cause (via leaky gut) or just a co-related problem.

I still get more achey if I get a disturbed gut as happened to me recently. When the gut improves the achiness goes down.
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

over doing will generally put me in a flare too, but it generally will hit me 2 days later.
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

For me hands down, I get emotionally crabby or weepy and the next day wake up, as we describe it, like a Mack truck hit me.

I am usually emotionally calm and happy, so you would think that each time the crabbies or tears come out of nowhere and seemingly for no reason, I would automatically realize I am heading for a crash. But, no! I don't think of it and the next day or so when I am relapsed, I will find myself saying to my husband, "well, now I know why I felt so crabby" (or weepy).

I think it is an interesting question you posed. We are all so different as is the effects of these illnesses on each person. It would be so much easier if the pattern was exactly the same for all. But though we have lots of similarities in symptoms, we often have our own symptom patterns. That is, when the illness decides to follow a pattern in us. So much of this can be just erratically random.
  5. sunflowergirl

I'm still hurting everywhere and usually the flare lasts bad for about 2 days max. Now I'm wondering if I also have a "bug"? Yesterday I went for acupuncture treatment....OMG......this is the 7th time but about every 3rd needle she would insert it HURT something awful and she had to keep removing them and trying a slightly different spot. Usually the needles don't bother me. This is the first time I've had a bad flare and tried to get acupuncture.

I know that lots of you complain that even your skin hurts.....I don't usually have this until yesterday.
  6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Sunflowergirl, how are you doing? Did you come down with anything? Hope you feel better. Hugs, MicheleK
  7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had a horrible flare last weekend, but it was largely my fault. The weather here in my area was sunny and 70 degrees, which I thought was wonderful for November, so I decided to wash the outside and inside of my car. I did everything and was outside doing this for 4 1/2 hours.

I KNEW I would get a flare up, so I decided to do this on a Saturday, so I could lay low the rest of the weekend.

My flare ups are horrbile when this happens, I feel extremely week, depressed, the pain is outrageous, almost short tempered, confused. I will not talk with anyone and will only lay on the couch, too exhausted to even move, or my whole body will scream with pain. I also become short of breath and anxiety hits me all over. I do what you do with heating pads, or hot water bottles, Advil or Aleve, pain relieving creams, etc.

The sad thing is this, I can have a horrible flare up without washing my car, just doing nothing can still trigger it, so I thought I might as well wash the car inside and out, LOL. I went back to work on Monday, but it was extremely difficult and when I got home, again, laid on the couch and had a liquid diet shake because I was still too exhausted to make a simple salad.

I know, this is a rough and lonely way to live. My car looks great, but I don't look or feel that way, so I do understand where you are coming from, believe me. Take care of yourself. Hugs, Chelz.
  8. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

when my car needs a cleaning, I put the hose on it for 5 min and that's it. I can't imagine "trying" to do a job on that car. When I feel it needs heavy duty care, I spend the $$...not worth it trying to make a sparkling car. Don't have the energy in the first place....for sure. jam

[This Message was Edited on 11/18/2012]
  9. sunflowergirl

We have a little window of feeling better and if you're like me, you think you're normal......or at least try to act like we are. You describe the flare exactly as mine. With our bodies we need to rethink what a healthy person would/could do.

10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I hear ya, and you are right again :) It was a stupid thing to do washing that car in and out. The reason it took so long was because I had to take frequent breaks, my mom yelled at me and said, "you will pay for this I know it" LOL. Mom always knows best, but I was stubborn and determined and figured the inside will now be clean thoughout the winter season.

I do usually get it washed while I sit through the carwash, but it was so nice out, and my fatigue level wasn't so bad at the moment, but if I'm really honest with myself, I was fatigued. You would have laughed watching me sit on the lawn chair while I was rinsing the car with the hose, it was pretty funny, but I did it. Glad no one had a camera or cell phone handy, LOL. Have to laugh now about it, but I learned my lesson. Nite Jam, hugs Chelz.