Can you freeze yeast to bake with?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sues1, Oct 9, 2008.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I only go through spurts in baking break. (Okay, do not be impressed as I use a bread machine, even for just mixing dough and I put it in bread pan or make sandwich rolls).LOL

So I buy yeast and sometimes it gets out dated before I used it.

I use Bread Machine Yeast also used as Rapid Rise yeast.

2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I see I was talking about baking breaK instead of baking breaD.......LOL.

I always keep mine in refrigerator also. I finally found info while googling, could not find it before. There is conflicting advise on freezing it, but many say they have for yrs. So I am going to try it.

I am more serious on larger sizes, like in jar, as I am trying to stock up food wise. My DH and I are concerned on the economy. I am now seriously using my FoodSaver. My son has been using his right along and has taken meat out of freezer, that was vaccum sealed, after a Yr. and a half, and it is beautiful.

Have to watch can goods and such, they have expiration dates. Bisquick and other type foods are dangerous after it expires. So I found a recipe for it online. Also will use it for veggie soup and such, which is good for me. I can not always cook.

Thanks for answering me.......I appreciate. Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2008]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

The best way to preserve yeast is to store it inside a beetle. Place the beetle in amber (resin). It will last at least 45,000,000 years.

Hard to believe, huh? If you google Ancient yeast, you can find this reported on several sites. (My efforts to get a URL for you were unsuccessful.)

The yeast is now being used to make beer.

Those bread making machines are fun. Haven't used Gordon's for some years tho.

Saw the picture in your profile. I'm so old I remember when those things were in use.

4. sues1

sues1 New Member

I would need a large beatle for the amount I would want to store. Also I do not have to keep the yeast that long.

I love the bread maker. I remember the first time I saw it shown on TV. I thought it was ridiculous and laughed. But we change. One thing is that I love fresh bread and it is fun. I have made pizza dough, dinner rolls, various breads in various shapes. Even Chocolate bread, that is good.

I like to make a dough and then bake in regular bread pan. Looks as if I really worked.......<grin>...........but I do not have the strength and always achy. Well most of us here is.

Thanks, I love your postings.You brightened my day........Susan