Can you have a massage when

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Musica, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Musica

Musica New Member

you're in a flare? Someone at my church gives massages but mentioned once that you shouldn't have them if you are having a RA or FMS flare. We weren't in a place where I could pursue it, so I don't know why she said that.

I am supposed to have a massage from her tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon! If my skin can tolerate a massage (haven't tried it in a year), it sounds WONDERFUL. But I have been more achy during the past week, and I'm sure waking more tired because I am getting stiff and/or achy while I sleep. My feet, hips, shoulders, knees and elbows especially, and my knees haven't bothered me before. Tender point areas? Is this a flare? Is it because of all the toxins that are released during massage that it might not be so good to have a massage during a flare? Have you had them when you've been having a particularly hard time and have they help or hurt?
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

What are people's experiences with massage with CFIDS or FMS?? I like massage a lot, but sometimes, it hurts more AFTER I get a massage (non-professional from my partner) ... so I'm wondering what other people's experiences here are.

3. Musica

Musica New Member

I'm not sure what type of hurt you mean. If you don't drink a LOT of water after a massage, to flush the toxins out of your body that were released by the massage, you WILL hurt more after. Or do you mean FMS type pain? I'm curious how I'll do because a year ago a deep tissue massage was great but I couldn't stand any massage with a light touch. I think I am generally more sensitive to touch now than a year ago, so I'm wondering if you mean that kind of pain.
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm generally more sensitive to certain types of touch now, yes ... but I think the pain I've had from massages is more do to my muscles just being different right now. Like, because of CIFDS (/FMS?) my body does not take any aggravation or exertion very well right now. Before, I could handle massges from friends and boyfriends without feeling this type of soreness and pain afterwards.

What I have experienced isn't that bad. It would not stop me from getting a massage from a massage therapist. It's just a difference I have noticed since figuring out I probably have CIFDS. I'm just wondering what other people's experiences have been. ;)

5. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I know the importance of drinking lots of water. No difference in water consumption between getting massages from friend prior to CFIDS and after.

:)