Can you have a migraine without the pain ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jo29, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I have had migraines with the excruciating pain, but yesterday I had all of the symptoms I usually have but not the pain.

I had the pressure at the base of my neck, terribly dizzy, especially when I would move my eyes, and no appetite.

I had an especially stressful day yesterday and was just wondering about this.

This morning I have a slight headache with no meds and none of the other symptoms.

I sure hope someone can help me with this.

Jodi

PS I am in a flare right now too.

2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Hi Jodi, If I remember right I read somewhere that you can get migraines in your eyes. All the symptoms are the same just no pain. You might want to run a seach when your feeling better just to double check. Fibro Fog seems to be my middle name lately so I could be wrong. lol. Hope your flare ends quickly.
  4. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Thank you so much for answering me. I was really worried about this.

I will do a search. Funny I didn't even think about doing that. I always turn to you guys first. Thanks again.

Jodi
  5. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

without the headaches. I get the visual disturbance (zigzags of light that gradually increase until they block about 30% of my vision.) During that time I feel spaced out and just not "with it." These things will last about 20-30 minutes from the time I feel it coming on until the last of the aura fades. Sometimes I will get a very light headache following this, but usually it is just the visual disturbance. I have this happen about twice as often as I have a full blown migraine. I have never had the visual disturbance before a regular migraine although some people do.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Sylvia
  6. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I didn't have the aura. I have had that before, but this time I didn't. It was the weirdest thing.

I looked up Ocular migraine and it said that you have the aura and other symptoms without pain.

So now I don't know what to think. I guess I will call my doctor about this one. I really don't feel that it is serious, but it has never happened like this. Whenever I would move my eyes from side-to-side, it felt like water sloshing in the back of my head close to where my head and neck meet. I was so dizzy and if I moved my eyes I was even more dizzy.

I didn't say that when I took 2 of my ultracet, after about an hour, all of the symptoms dissappeared. I also used my heated rice thingy.

Today I feel pressure, but no pain.

Thanks for helping me.

Jodi
  7. ansel

ansel New Member

I was dx with eye migraines. There was no pain but terrible symptoms. It felt like an electrical short running from my eyes to the base of my neck and spine. Sometimes down my arms to my hands. Really strange. No dizziness but it sure was interfering with anything I tried to do. The dr said there was nothing to do about it but to wait till it passed.
    Ansel
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I have optical migraines. When that happens, half of my visual field is black. It's really difficult to read/drive/watch TV or anything when this happens.

As soon as it starts, I take 3 aspirin and close my eyes for about 30 minutes. That takes care of the problem.

abbylee
  9. kevieb

kevieb New Member

i get occular migrains, as do my 14 year old twin daughters.
    christine
  10. lilbird

lilbird New Member

every living blood relative on my mothers side of the family gets migraines. Including myself.

When my daughter was young she had allot of vision disturbance's. She had every known test on her eyes. It was concluded that she was getting visual migraines, no pain. She is 24 now and gets the pain but not the vision stuff.

So, yes to your question. But as always, if your symtoms change, see your Dr. to make sure that is what is going on.

Cathy
  11. Jillmom23

Jillmom23 New Member

My neurologist said that you can have a headache or migraine without the pain. I have been getting dizzy for a year now. He put me on neurontin about 8 months ago & it has helped.

I'm wondering if allergies could have something to do with my dizziness. I have been getting terrible headaches for about 2 weeks & the dizziness is starting to act up more. My dizziness first started last Sept. so I'm thinking that my body just doesn't like the month! LOL

Take Care,
    Jill
  12. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

for helping me out. I feel so much better knowing I am not alone. I will tell my doctor and maybe she can give me something for them. At least now I know what is going on.

Thanks again so much.

Jodi
  13. quigmoore

quigmoore New Member

Yes, Jodi you can get what my doctors have called "silent" migraines. All of the symptoms without the pain. They can be more dehabilitating for me than the migraines with pain because the visual disturbances are typically very bad. These are typically accompanied with nausea & sometimes vomiting. Typically the eyes will ache after they are gone. I take my medicine as soon as these begin, because if I don't they can last for days.

Quigmoore
  14. jaltair

jaltair New Member

You can have migraines with all other symptoms and no pain. You can also have what are termed "floaters" (spots) that you seen that can be migraine. Sometimes, I have just terrible pressure in the head but not the usual "headache" that can be excruciating, I've also had the "floaters."

I forgot to add that I have the "aura" at times before a migraine. To me it's like a flash of light, and I actually react like a bright light hit my eyes. Then I'll have a circle starting in the middle of vision and enlarging until it's out of the field of vision (take about 20 - 30 minutes), but I'll start feeling nausea as well.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2005]
  15. allie42

allie42 Guest

I guess that's what I had a while back. That's what my eye doctor told me. I had these squiggly, watery looking lines in the field of vision of both eyes. It scared me! so I ran to the doctor, and after she looked everything over, she asked me if I'd had headaches in the past, which I surely have had. And she said I was having a migraine. The lines went away, and I felt listless and dull the rest of the day. Never had that happen before.
  16. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi Jo,

I used to suffer dreadfully from migraine, including the 'no pain' type. My dr put me onto a daily dose of feverfrew which has been FANTASTIC. I haven't had a migraine of any sort for over six years now. The brand I'm on is called Migrotan Plus and is made by a company called Nutrition Care. They need to be prescribed by a dr eventhough they are herbal and are made in Australia. The details on the back of the bottle are:

Nutrition Care Pharmaceuticals P/L
    25-27 Keysborough Ave, Keysborough, Victoria 3173

(Aust L 80798)

You will probably be able to get them in the States (if that's where you are) If you don't have any luck send me a post and I'll chase them up from this end for you.

Cheers Jana
  17. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Although, I've never had it. I've read about it before. I have had terrible ones since my twenties and did quite a bit of research after my stupid doctor told me I was crazy when I said I got thirsty right before my migraines and that they were worse before it rained.

The thirst was from MSG which I finally figured out and deleted from my diet. And, yes, barometric pressure affects our headaches.

I also get what I call migrain hangovers. The day after a bad one, I feel like I've just come off the worst drunk of my life.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2005]
  18. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My eye doctor said they were migraines and I had no pain at all, just for about 10 minutes, I would see those wavy clear lines in my vision in both eyes. At the end of that in about 30 minutes, my entire hand on one side would go numb for about 10 minutes or less. I haven't had this in a long time, though.

I always wondered if I was having a stroke or something, so it did scare me.

They are called visual migraine auras.

Hugs,
    Faye
  19. Rainshadow

Rainshadow New Member

All of a sudden my eyes will begin to lose focus. Every thing goes wavy and blurry like I have too much fluid swimming in my eyes. One time my vision actually split and I was seeing double from top to bottom. Scared me to death! Went away in about 10 minutes, thank God. Most of the time it lasts 10 to 15 minutes and I have no pain. Occasionally I will get a headache though. So I've found that if I take just plain Tylenol I don't ususally have any pain. However, recently I had a real hum dinger with excruciating pain, nausea to the point of vomiting. It was awful and I hope I don't ever do that again. A few years ago I had severe headaches that lasted all the time for weeks. They were so severe that if I opened my mouth and cold air came in, a blinding pain would shoot through my right eye. Miserable. The doc gave my pain meds but they didn't really help. Turned out my cardiac meds were all whacked out and my dioxin was at a toxic level. Now I'll be more aware if I ever get that kind of headche pain again. It was so bad I couldn't standing anything at all cold in the mouth. The roof of my mouth (soft palatte in the back) would throb and the pounding would shoot right up through my head. God it was awful. Sorry I got off topic, but yes I do have silent migraines.