Can you have balance problems and not have MS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen728, Aug 30, 2003.

1. karen728

karen728 New Member

Does anyone on the board have balance problems with FMS? It's a new symtom for me and now my Doctor is sending me for MS tests. Could a balance issue pop up after 10 years of Fibro or could it be the onset of MS? Wouldn't I have more MS symtoms?

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Balance problems plague many of us. Yes, symptoms can crop up even after years with FMS. Good luck with your tests.

Love, Mikie
  3. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

Hi Karen, I have had balance problems for 5 years. 3 years ago I had an MRI which ruled out anything sinister. There are so many reasons for balance problems, inner ear, neck problems, so please dont worry too much. I still dont know why I have these problems - my physio said it is from tight neck muscles. I do sypathize though as it is horrible and takes away your confidence. I have been diagnosed with CFS but not FMS.

Good luck with the tests - let us know how you go on,

Chrissy x

4. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes, bigtime problems with balance. The last Physical Therapist I saw had me doing balance excerises one after another. Finally they decided that it was Also due to my hypermoblity...ankles and hips will move in ways that they shouldn't. Now I wear good shoes with support and am more careful about moving. I never turn around fast,that is a sure bet to fall on the floor.

Doctors need to rule out other diseases and MS is one of them. Please don't let that scare you. It's best to get a good diagnoses and they do that by ruling things out. Best of luck to you.
    H
  5. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I have had balance problems (& FM) all my life. I had great difficulty riding a bike as a kid, or ever for that matter. My son wouldn't let me on a ladder when I worked for him as a house painter. I fall off chairs if I stand on them to do something high. Always thought I had MS instead of FM but MRI said no. If I ever had to have a roadside sobriety test I would fail it hands down.

JoAnn
  6. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have FM and balance has been a problem for me for a long time. I have fallen, legs just go weak. I run into walls when walking. And sometimes, when just standing, will all of a sudden reach out to grab anything because I'm dizzy. Kinda scares the person standing in front of me, LOL!

MS ruled out along with many other things years ago.[This Message was Edited on 08/31/2003]
  7. healing

healing New Member

Karen, I find that when I'm fatigued in particular, I become unbalanced and clumsy. I also have occasional dizzy spells.

At the same time, any form of exercise can help your balance. I agree with the comments, above, about spinal strength and flexibility. If you are largely sedentary, or just plain out of shape, you will be less able to maintain your balance. One of the best ways to strengthen your spine and your abdominal muscles which support your spine is Pilates exercise.

If you decide to try Pilates, be sure you find an instructor who has been certified to teach under the "old" system that requires around 1000 hours of training. Newer instructors often have been "qualified" through a weekend course. These instructors are the source of a wave of injuries resulting from improper Pilates technique. So be smart in choosing a course.

I've been doing Pilates for about 9 months now, and it has made a major difference in my balance and posture.

Hope your tests go well. Let us know.
  8. karen728

karen728 New Member

Thank you everyone for your informative comments. I know it's the best thing to be tested. I've been worried about MS for years because I have a cousin who was diagnosed 10 years ago at 33 and is now in a nursing home. She has the worst of MS.

It's nice to know though that it is possible that this balance thing may have just popped up as a new symptom of Fibro after all these years.

I'll let you all know. My test in on 9/11--of all days, huh?

thanks again,

karen