Can You Please Explain My Results?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jlynx, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jlynx

jlynx Member

I hope this is in the right forum. I am very thankful that the third doctor I've visited is wonderful and very knowledgable on CFS. It is Dr. Garabedian of the Holtorf Medical Group, located in King of Prussia, PA. I received my lab results and would like some advice and an explanation on what they mean, before my next appointment on February 5th. And also what type of treatment I can expect. I really appreciate it!

High for Hhv 6 Igg Antibodies - 13.99
    High for Parvovirus B19, Igg - 5.7 (Range: 0.0-0.8)
    High for Calcitriol(1,25 Di-Oh Vit D) - 165.3 (Range: 10.0-75.0)
    High for Iron, Serum - 167 (Range: 35-155)

I do not understand the high vitamin D and iron levels. I do not supplement with iron and I do not take a large amount of Vitamin D (4,000 IU/ day). I've stopped taking it now.

My symptoms are: terrible PEM after any mild exercise, no energy, depression, mood swings/ irritability, brain fog/ slow thinking, poor memory, hair loss/ dryness, dry skin, mild acne, non-refreshing sleep, cold hands and feet, joint pain, and constant swollen lymph nodes in neck. I am a 22 year old female. Also, I did have Lyme Disease when I was five years old.
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

There is nothing particularly unusual for any of these results:
    The HHV6 antibody level is quite high but just indicates that you mounted a strong response and maintained that level for the virus which most people have Ab to.
    Parvovirus B19 similar
    Calcitriol level of 165.3pg/ml could be due to a number of factors, previous supplementation, current infection, genetic tendency. The level is not pathological but should be retested in a month or so. It may be transient. What was your 25(OH) level? If it is low then the Hi (1,25(OH)2) and Lo (25,(OH)) indicates infection or inflammation. (typically).
    Iron level is slightly high but could be due to supplementation with multivites but is not uncommon in people with Me and or Chronic Lyme disease.
  3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"High for Iron, Serum - 167 (Range: 35-155)

Hi Jlynx,

Please review the links below:

A (possible) underestimated cause of chronic fatigue: Haemochromatosis?

-Dr. Philip H.L. de Sterke:

"Haemochromatosis (iron overload) is the most common genetic disorder. Approximately 1 in 200 to 300 humans have this disorder (1-5). Most doctors still think it is a rare disorder (1). About 10% of the population carries the gene that causes iron overload. When someone inherits this gene from both parents, he or she may(6) absorb to much iron from their normal diet. This iron will be stored in the liver and several other tissues in the body and can cause a great number of symptoms. These symptoms, as a cause of Haemochromatosis, can be found in babies and small children, but it is most common above the age of 40. Unfortunately, when symptoms are found at this age, it is considered a "late diagnosis" and the damage has been done. Early screening and diagnosis could help patients completely avoid organ damage and premature death."

"One or more of the following complaints can point to Haemochromatosis. * Chronic fatigue * Increased susceptibility for infections * Liver function abnormalities * Arthritis (pain, swelling and morning stiffness of certain joints, often the hands) * Diabetes * Loss of libido (less desire in sex) and impotence * Infertility * Swollen stomach (or uncomfortable, heavy feeling, mostly on the right side of the belly) * Heart complaints * Shortness of breath with physical effort * Skin pigmentation (bronze or grey coloured skin) * Loss of weight * Decrease in body hair * Early menopause * Porphyria Cutanea Tarda"

"Every doctor should consider Haemochromatosis in his diagnose when there is no direct cause found for one of the above complaints"

See more here:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

At 167 your iron levels are unlikely to be caused by haemochromatosis because it isn't high enough to be definitive.
    However it could be followed through by testing transferrin saturation and tibc (total iron binding capacity).
    A serum iron level below 170 mcg/dL is considered normal.

Two other supplements can induce a highish level of serum iron: vit B6 and vitB12.
    Are you taking either of these?
  5. jlynx

jlynx Member

Hi, My 25(OH) level was 'normal': 42.1 (Range: 30.0-100.0)
  6. jlynx

jlynx Member

I was tested for those as well. They were considered 'normal'.

Iron Bind.cap.(Tibc)323 250-450ug/dL
    Uibc156 150-375ug/dL
    Iron, Serum167 35-155ug/dL
    Iron Saturation52 15-55

I am taking B12- 1000 microgram lozenge a day. There is 18 mcg B12 in my multi, and 2 mg B6. I will stop taking them, I was not aware it could raise iron levels, hopefully that is why it was high.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

Thanks for posting those results. So it looks as though you have a slightly elevated serum iron. By the way different labs have different ranges for serum iron levels. I think the NIH consider 170 to be normal-high.

Re B12. We have found that 1mg sublingual B12 once every two days is sufficient to raise B12 levels significantly, to around 1000pg/ml in people with ME which is a high level by any standards. I have no specific data on how much serum iron levels can be raised by B12 supplementation and I am sure it would vary from person to person.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015