Can you take MSM if you are allergic to sulfa drugs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jan 25, 2009.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Do you ask your Drs. how much to take (MSM) or do you just add the supplements? Does anyone know if it has drug interactions, Im on alot of medications and also a diabetic so im always concerned with mixing drugs and supplements. My arthritis has really been causing me lots of extra pain in addition to fibromyalgia and myofascial esp. at night while trying to get some much needed sleep.I would like to try something but unsure what to try for OA. I dont want to start on a medication from my Dr. for OA as they have so many side effects long term .Which is best cherry extract, grapeseed extract, MSM? Im confused as to which to try for what I have going on. thanks
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi campbeck97,
    If it is OA you are treating, my first supplement choice would definitely be glucosamine sulfate. Unfortunately, this is one of a very small number of supps. where being a diabetic could complicate it's use, so you would have to monitor your sugar more closely than usual if you decide to try it. It is far less dangerous than a drug, so I would not let that stop you, esp. if you have a doctor who knows about such things, and if you are treating OA, your doctor should know about glucosamine, since there are an overwhelming number of studies to support it's use now. Chondroitin is another possibility, but it's usefulness is controversial. Acupuncture can also be very helpful, if you can afford to go regularly.

BTW, Ribose, which is a major help with the energy problems of this illness, is another one with potential blood sugar problems....just FYI, in case you ever decide to try it.

This is a subject for a whole other post, but with any form of arthritis, I would check out the possibility of simmering intracellular infections. Look up The Road Back Foundation to get you started.

I have found MSM to be more helpful for allergies than anything else, but it does help some people with their muscle pain. It is NOT the same thing as a Sulfa drug. I am allergic to sulfa drugs myself, so I made sure of this before taking it. It is a source of the sulfer that we badly need, just like good food sources of sulfer are garlic and onions. The starting dosage is one gram, then slowly work up until you get results. Maximum results from a dosage take about 3 weeks to achieve. I needed 3 grams daily to control my pollen allergies.

Grapeseed extract is an excellent antioxidant, but I am unaware of any effects on OA. Cherry extract is used primarily to treat gout.

Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor. I just studied to be a Naturopath, with emphasis on nutritional medicine. I dropped out when I found out that practicing Naturopathy is a felony in the backwards state I live in (Florida).

You did not ask for this next advice, but here it is anyway, FWIW. I hope that the ONLY sweetener you are using is Stevia. It is the only one that is not either an immune poison or a brain poison, and studies show it has either no effect or even a positive effect on insulin resistance. I've used nothing but Stevita powder for over 10 yrs. and my blood sugar went from prediabetic back to normal range. You can find it in powder or liquid forms in health food stores and on the Internet. Do not fall for the "new" products like Truvia, which have extracted the one part of the Stevia plant that makes it sweet and marketed it as some "new" discovery, with a high price tag. The product in it's natural state is best. It is many, many times sweeter than sugar, so you don't need much.

Also, I hope you like cinnamon. Many spices are very medicinal. You should be taking in two teaspoons of cinnamon per is incredibly effective at helping to control blood sugar. It can be added to cereal, shakes, smoothies, fruits, whole grain toast, yogurt, etc.

Best wishes,

3. tut90

tut90 Member

You made me laugh so much, I'm also from Florida and I'm always telling my husband that this is a backward state, he gets upset, because he was the one that wanted to move here, I could take it or leave it.

By the way, very good information.

4. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Thanks to all for the quick suggestions, I feel a little clearer on the supplements now. I didnt realize glucosomine could increase blood pressure and cholesterol dont want that , already have both!I tried the stevia sweetner but just cant seem to get it to taste right.. too sweet with a bitter aftertaste. I just use regular sugar just less of it.I will look into the MSM and grapeseed extract a little more they sound like they may just help. Thanks everyone ! God Bless
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi there,

I also am allergic to sulfa drugs, as well as to sulfites. Perhaps a person can't be allergic to elements of the earth, but it seems that some of us may be sensitive to certain compounds involving those elements, for some reason.

Nevertheless, I have used MSM successfully for over 10 years for mixed-type arthritis, including fairly severe knee OA. I'm going on 13 yrs. since having been recommended to have knee surgery -- which I haven't had.

I am a little sensitive to MSM. If I take more than 500 mg/day orally, it irritates my bladder. However, it doesn't give me the wheezing I get from sulfites, nor does it give me the rash I get from sulfa drugs. I also do OK with topical MSM: powder in a foot bath, and an MSM cream I use occasionally for grumpy joints.

While I find MSM helpful, it is not the only thing I use for my fibro & arthritis. What works for me is a number of supps each day, at fairly low doses: EPA fish oil (good for cholesterol, too), SamE, sodium hyaluronate, NAG (acetyl glucosamine -- the only type of glucosamine that works for me), cetyl myristoleate, niacinamide.

I know many people benefit from grape seed extract, but I've never found it helpful. With supps, as with RX meds, some things are a bit of trial & error. What works for one person isn't necessarily guaranteed to work for the next.

Keeping my thyroid hormones (as measured by fT3, fT4 -- not TSH) in the optimal range has also been very helpful. When I run too high or too low, joint pain increases tremendously.

I'm not able to kneel easily, and I do have some difficulty with long flights of stairs. The knees are not totally well, I doubt they ever will be, again. However I'm long past the days of dragging myself around with a walker, & if you asked where my cane was, I'd be hard pressed to remember where it got to.

Good improvement, and I do it without RX arthritis meds. Nor do I use OTC NSAIDs or other painkillers. I do also use LDN, but that is a story in itself, won't make things more complex at the moment.

Advice to "start low, go slow" is valuable for those of us with allergies and/or sensitivities to meds & supps. I know that, in diabetic animals, MSM can reduce need for insulin (improved sensitivity to insulin ???). Perhaps another good reason to start low, go slow, if you decide to give MSM a try.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  6. snoozq ...I have been reading the book the miracle of msm , so far from what I have read if Itam understanding it , MSM is part of DSMO which can actually HELP the bladder irritation , I sure hope when I get mine it doesn't flare up my bladder which is horrid in itself. I will start low and go slow for sure. I also have a severely painful knee and have already had one knee replacement which is a long painful ordeal in itself and I would like to postpone as long as I can. I ordered MSM yesterday, but MSM actually sounds too good to be true but am praying it helps as my pan is so severe any help would be welcome!
  7. Just a thought, I wish we could meet up on the chat board sometime and discuss msm more? Anyone interested?
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi there. Yes, I am aware that some docs do DMSO instillations for interstitial cystitis. Both DMSO and MSM have some analgesic properties that work on a certain type of nerve fiber. For some women, the DMSO procedures have a fairly long-lasting effect.

Having said that, there is individual variation in how people process oral sulfur. It likely has to do with the efficiency of certain enzymes.

I do hope that you find the MSM helpful, as I have found it to be. Start with a little and gradually increase your dose.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
  9. quanked

quanked Member