Can you tolerate fasting?does it help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimelia, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Hi,

Ever feel like you are willing to believe about anything if it would yield getting well? Sometimes I feel gullable but here goes my question.

A guy I went out with last night told me that his ex wife had "cfs" and that what they found out is that we with cfs are actually extremely poisoned by different things. That she overcame it by getting the poisons out. That you can do this through fasting and other means, but fasting is the quickest/harshest.

His theory kinda makes sense to me because when I try to fast I get so sick I can not function AT ALL. I can hardly get up to go to the bathroom and I'm miserable. My fever shoots up really high, over 102. The theory would be that you are stiring up the toxins not just in the water soluble parts of the body but also the fat soluble which take longer to detox and get to, and this would obviously make you very sick.

Have you all had experience wtih fasting? How has it affected you? Any thoughts welcome.
  2. patches25

patches25 New Member

I fasted under the direction of an alternative MD. Never again. I never got well. After 7 days when I came off it even the very smallest amount of food and I would end up laying in bed, curled up in a fetal position crying from the pain of the food in my stomach. and I never got well nor even got any better in the long run.

Never ever would I ever consider it ever again. and I had the potassium and sodium and ? ----been a while so I don't remember just what I had to do. E.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

is adviseable for those of us with CFS / fibro.

I NEED to eat, little and often, my body wouldnt allow me to fast.

Also, I have NEVER read anywhere that fasting is recommended for us.

love
    Rosie
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

It's generally helped me over the years. I've tried to fast at least 1 day a week for the last 6 or 7 years. Sometimes, I go through periods where I don't fast and sometimes I do. I find I always feel better after a fast. More energetic and skin problems tend to clear up.

It is tough in the beginning though when you are detoxing the most and I would really only recommend it to those with CFS/FMS if you had a problem with Candida. It's really the fastest way to get rid of Candida but you have to tough it out through the fast. When the Candida starts dying off it do to lack of available blood sugar, a lot of toxic stuff gets created and you get that dizzy, foggy feeling at periods through your fast. Drink lots of water and sometimes add a little lemon sqeezed in the water helps.

5. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

is different but I can't fast with the meds I take. I have to eat before take my meds.

I might work for some but make sure if you do this do it under the guidance of a doctor.

Laura
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I do not agree that one should fast longer than 12 hours, God designed our bodies to eat small amounts of food and liquid throughout the day, and I go with God's plan.

The body was designed very well to excrete a lot of toxins as it plods through the day with all the cogs running, otherwise we would all be dead, as the air is so full of toxins.

I think we just need to take a really moderate approach to all things. I am being forced to watch a good friend of mine constantly doing de toxes and fasting and she is wasting away and no fun, she lives to maintain her "diet" routine and one should not do that-eating is just a part of our lives, not the whole shebang.

I think just lightening up a bit on some days works well.

Just my opinion, no offense to anyone.

Love Anne C
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    The doctor who diagnosed me told me that I should not fast or go on a juice diet. In fact, she would not let me goon any diet, except the diabetic diet, which I had to go on.

She felt that I was already too weak to try fasting. She did, however, agree with the toxicity theory. Her solution was lots of water and rest, and to drink only bottled mountain spring water, and to eat natural foods, organic whenever possible.

I think it has helped me.

Good luck to you. I don't think fasting is for everyone, not even for every healthy person.

Terry
  8. ladude

ladude New Member

I have been doing 7 - 10 day fasting and detox several times a year and feel great the whole time doing it.

I use Dr. Schultz's detox program and it works great. Fasting has been used for health problems for thousands of years, even mentioned in the bible. Regular mainstread doctors used it until recently, guess drugs make them more money.

Dr. Cheney mentions briefly it in his latest video for CFIDS.

Doing it the right way is easy, I feel so good I hate to go off it as my energy level is much higher when fasting.

It is important to do it the right way and not just start a fast without proper research especially if one has health problems.

I can post more if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.

LAdude

9. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I am very tiny, with a quick metabolism that will send me hypoglycemic in no time if I have to fast for anything. One time, I did a morning fast for a cholesterol check and passed out...it was no fun.

No, for me, fasting is not an option. There are different ways to "fast", though, where you just cut out certain types of foods or stick to a limited variety (like only juices) for a small period of time.

Whenever you do any kind of detox regimen, you also need to be sure to drink tons of water to flush all the junk out of your system. Have you been doing that?

If you have such adverse reactions to fasting, it sounds like that isn't for you, at least right now. There is some truth to detox possibly making you sicker before better, but if you take it that hard, it's probably too much right now. Hopefully you can find another, gentler option that works for you.

Good luck!
    C.
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

As the dietitian in the crowd I should probably say something.

This is a person by person issue. There are clearly benefits to a moderate fast but it is not beneficial to everyone.

It makes sense that it might help the candida issue but on the same note, a person struggling with candida may not handle a fast well since they are not in optimum health. They may have blood sugar issues/endocrine problems which would make a fast unwise. Diabetics should never fast. Neither should people who are taking meds which require food intake and blood sugar sustaining diets.

I struggle with hypoglycemia which makes a fast difficult for me. It would not be wise at this time. But that doesn't mean I couldn't fast in the future.

Fasting should never be done without a lot of water and probably isn't wise for more than a day. There are moderate fasts in which you eat only vegetables and some fruits but no carbs or protiens. Fruits and vegs have a high water content and tend to digest easily when eaten alone.

If doing a fast for the purpose of attacking candida it would be wise to do a vegetable/water fast with fruits being limited to lemon/lime/white grapefruit for flavoring.

It is also an option to fast for short periods of time. Like water/lemon only in place of breakfast but eat by mid afternoon or even noon. Or eat light meals through-out the day but no food after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Those options give you about a 12-hr fast in which a good portion of it is spent in sleep so not as much energy is required.

Whatever you decide to do. Listen to your body. Hunger is Ok but pain or blacking out (or hypoglycemic responses) are a body's warning signs. Listen to them.

Hope this is helpful. Choose what is best just for you.

Sofia
  11. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

My doc. has not told me not to fast, but I am sure he would. He is very emphatic that I eat something every 3 hours at the most - mainly protein. I do know that if I do not eat regularly, I feel so much worse.

Fasting is very potent - in my opinion, if you decide to do it, do it with care and under really appropriate medical supervision
  12. jaltair

jaltair New Member

When we fast, we do not take in the necessary nutrients that help our body to do it's own detox and flushing of toxins.

People with these DD's need to have good nutrition on a regular basis. That's the key.

Low carbs, good protein, plenty of veggies and fruits, and lots and lots of water. All of this, of course, should be fresh - no canned food with high salt content. Just balanced and healthy meals.

Doing good nutrition helps our bodies more than any fad diet or added supplements.

Hugs, jeannette