Canadian Disability - need help! Applying for CPP...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shanwill, Feb 27, 2012.

1. shanwill

shanwill Member

Hi there,
    Coming up on 9 yrs being ill with ME/CFS I've determined I will not be making a miraculous recovery and need to try and get benefits as am unable to work. I had been working very part time, but struggled, and since I've now moved to a new city in Ontario am unable to find any CFS/ME friendly employment and feel it would be a bad idea to work. Basically, I'm tired of pushing myself and crashing.

So this question goes out the anyone who's applied and knows the process and can advise how to proceed. I have the papers and a doctors diagnosis but have been told that the likelihood of me getting it is low - I'm 37. Is there things I should say specifically, documents to supply, ways to prove how ill I am?

Any tips would be very appreciated!
    Thanks, Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2012]
  2. shanwill

shanwill Member

Thanks for all the information - very helpful. I am going to look into the links you suggested to. Fingers crossed this can be as stress free as possible!
  3. karen99

karen99 New Member

Please find my message to redwillow. I am karen99. I need help filling out the boxes in the questionaire. What exactly do they want to know. How can I be specific when there is so much going on in my head. If you found any answers please let me know. Thanks so much. It's 4 in the morning, hope I'm making sense. _:)
  4. cfsalberta

cfsalberta New Member

I was about the same age when applying for cpp disability - I got the same opinion that because I was so young it would be tough. I applied and got turned down flat. (Lawyers from Calgary at our CFS meeting said they almost always deny first application for CFS/FM). I appealed and got denied even with very good detailed medical reports. I asked to proceed to a tribunal where you sit in front of a panel (lay person, medical person, cpp rep, and sometimes a legal rep) to answer questions and present your case. I did hire a lawyer at this point. She was minimally involved at the tribunal but her mere presence may have helped. I related my worst times, my limitations, how I tried to continue working, and all the treatments, doctors, medications, counselling, massage, groups, etc that I tried. The panel commented on how severe I seemed in person versus on paper and in the end I was approved. Some advice - document absolutely everything from Dr. appointments, tests, flare ups, infections, dates, etc. It is a long process and most people turn away after first denial but be persistent.
  5. centeron

centeron New Member

when i applied in 1998 it appeared that stressing the reactive depression also helped. However things may have changed somewhat. good luck with that Shanwall.