Canadian FM'ers on Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Jul 23, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi there:

For those of you on disability, either long term or short term, can you tell me your experience?

I'm just starting the process for short term disability with Sun Life and would like to know if anyone has had particilar issues with insurance companies.

Thanks in advance,

2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

3. Bucko64

Bucko64 New Member

Wish I had more for you. I myself left work in May in pain from a reoccuring pain problem. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and amd on cymbalta and tridural.
    I am on EI right now but to be honest the psychiatrist is handling it for now. I got my package from sunlife the other day would appreciate someone helping both of us.
    Isn't it strange that I would rather be seen as crazy than to have fibromyalgia?
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Like Donna, I'm on EI right now...well still waiting for the first check. I received the package for SunLife and my Dr. has filled that out. I just have to do my pieces.

He wrote me off initially for 3 months. He said that insurance companies are far more reasonable if you don't extend the absence too far. I guess I'll have to trust his judgement.

I know after two years that I will have to apply for my work's long term disability as well as Sunlife.

My FM was further exsacerbated by an accident in February and has put me in a severe flare which hasn't let up yet.
    I don't know if it ever will.

Did you find them reasonable about the diagnosis of FM?

Any insite you can provide Donna and I would be greatly appreciated.

PS...I also have a very good MD.