Canadian Poll~What pain meds would you suggest I ask my Dr. for?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Sep 5, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Right now I am just taking Tylenol 3 for pain, approx 2 per day, plus Ibprofen. It isn't helping at all with my pain. I have order Fibro Freedom from Pro health store, and haven't receieved it yet. It has 5htp in it, so if it works, and I continue using it, that rules out some medications.
    I really need some good recommendations for a pain med that WORKS! I don't know how much more I can take!

Raz
  2. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I would suggest to the doctor maybe by saying "I have heard from many people with my condition that Ultram is working for pain". My suggestion would be for Ultram. I have been taking it for a year and it is not addictive and not supposed to be harmful long term. Ultram usually does the job. If for some reason it doesn't work for you, you may need something stronger where there are higher risks. Sometimes at night I am in a great deal of pain and will take Oxycodone (not Oxycontnin) and it works wonders but makes you tired and also help with sleep.

Good Luck!!!
    Hope
  3. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

for more feed back!
    I just quite taking amitriptalyine, was on 10 mg, and it wasn't working, and from past experience know about the weight gain and have no intention of going that way again, so I quit. I do take Clonazapam as well. 1.25mgs at bedtime. For the next week or so I am taking Baclofin for some muscle relaxation, and then I only take 1 mg of clonazapam at bedtime.
    I don't think I can take the Ultram, since it conflicts with the Fibro Freedom I will be taking. (the 5htp thing)
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'll have to ask for it.

I need to let people know though, I came across some info on it on another type of support site, a site for those who'd become addicted to it. Ultram is purported to be non-narcotic and therefore non-addicting, but apparently it can be addicting and needs to be respected as much as narcotics.

I'm already on narcotics anyway, codeine phosphate (sans the acetaminephen in Emtec or Tylenol 3) or Endocet (low dose Percocet).

I also take enzymes to help w/ inflammation pain, and as I've yodelled many times, it's made a big difference and gotten ibuprofen out of my repetoire. Ibuprofen was previously the only thing that worked to bring down period bloat, tailbone swelling and abdominal distension from IBD. I get wicked distension after diarrhea sometimes.

If you aren't lactose intolerant, I'd try Flexeril. It works very well, it's a muscle relaxant. I'm lactose intolerant if it's added as a bulker in meds though, but I can digest it in foods now.

Jeanne
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

been on Flexeril already, didn't really help all that much, plus it made me gain weight, as it has similar properties as amitriptyline.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi Raz:

I can't take codeine....makes me very sick. Morphine is the only pain reliever that I've found helps with my pain. I usually take 1 each night along with my sleeping pill and maybe an extra 1 on really rough days.

Just last week my doctor started me on Norflex (muscle relaxant). It's really helped. I used to wake myself up every time I turned over due to pain. Since I started taking them at night, it hasn't happened.

Eileen
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I have alot of allergic reactions and intolerances to most medications, especially pain killers - so I'm limited to taking solely demerol for pain and management. 50mg every 4 hours throughout the day and 150mg at night to help me sleep usually covers a good day.

8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

bumping for more!