Canadians - help me get disability payments

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Shannonsparkles

    Shannonsparkles New Member

    Any tips? What can I do?

    I'm 23 years old. I've never been able to work, and I might not ever be able to work (keeping my fingers crossed for improvement though).

    Thanks. (((( ))))
  2. darude

    darude New Member

    You need to have worked to apply for CPP but here in Calgary we have a program called AISH. I have a lady here who has fms/cfs and she was my advocate in getting CPP. She also fought to have them raise the rates for AISH. If you win you get all dental and medical paid for. Give me a call and I will give you her number shes awesome!!!!!!!!! I haven't gone that route (AISH) yet but might in future.
  3. sharon5650

    sharon5650 New Member

    I am a Canadian and live in Quebec but moving to Ontario in June ...if you never worked what kind of disability do you want...only social assistance this what you mean...sharon5650
  4. darude

    darude New Member

    Aish is provincial and I'm pretty sure you would qualify. If approved the pay for your medical so would help with your treatments.
  5. Shannonsparkles

    Shannonsparkles New Member

    That dental part is great - more than I expected. I'll try to find your phone number... or could you e-mail me your friend's phone number? Thanks Calgarians.
  6. karen_dean

    karen_dean New Member

    I had no choice..@ my age and being a full time Mom and wife ((when I was married)), after being on my own, and worked..p/t never had enough put towards CPP..I applied for Disability thru Social Services here in Ontario. Went thru family Dr. who had to fill out forms on my part ((detailed of my health issues))..then I myself had to do the same.

    The forms are @ Social Services..and sometimes Dr.s have them on hand. It took several weeks, then I got denied , but don't let that frustrate you..I appealed with writing a letter back, telling them ((clearing)) again in detail about every circumstance of my health problems.

    I waited then for weeks..but finally got excepted..and during the waiting period I rec'd back pay and have been on the system.

    Don't get overly excited about the dollar and cents you will receive, its rough to get by..but I have managed to keep my daughter and myself going..along with a house and added bills that go with it. ((Drug and basic dental cards are a great help)).

    Hope this helps a bit..sorry for such a long reply.

    Good Luck & Blessings to you!


  7. upnorth

    upnorth New Member


    You are elegible for whatever the provincial social services disability is in ALberta is it?.

    Because I worked 8years in the states and a year in England, I was not elegible for CPP either. I was so sick that I moved in with family for a while in ONtario (where I grew up). When we realized things weren't improving I accepted that I was going to have to seek disability.

    I was initially denied ODSP (Ontario Disability SUpport) but ended up at the tribunal phase where they interview you. THe tribunal, evidently, agreed that I was too sick to work and now I live off the money - not alot, but doable.

    My neighbour growing up developed CFS/ME in the late 80's along with is wife and youngest daughter. She's had it since she was 10. I'm so so sorry to those of you who've had to suffer this awful disease so young. - ANYWAY, she recieved ODSP no problem with a good Dr.'s help. (We have the same specialist).

    Good Luck!

[ advertisement ]