Canadians on Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Dec 20, 2008.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I've just recently learned that this med is now available in Canada. I went off Effexor 3 yrs ago and swore I would never go on another AD again. But.... due to this years events: mom suddenly passing away this summer, hubby with very treatment resistant depression in a major flare up, daughter with Crohn's, my own health[FM], I am seriously considering taking this medication.

I am scared to try. It is not covered by our Pharmacare, but our deductible is so high it really doesn't matter. I'm scared it won't work and I will have to go thru the hell I went thru going off the Effexor.

But.....! What if it helps? What if MY depression goes and I feel better and can cope better?

Can anyone give me some reasons I should give this med a try? I really need to hear from some Canadians too about costs etc. But ANYONE who answers will be greatly appreciated!

2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Raz!
    I'm considering this med for myself as well. It's well past 3 AM here and I'm unable to sleep due to raging pain in my legs and was bad enough to override my usual protocol. Probably the weather (storm is churning out there right now) and stress, but this is ridiculous.

Anyway, one of my dearest friends (has FM, arthritis, and asthma and depression) has been on it for nearly a year now and I can't believe how much it has helped her. She still has pain and trouble sleeping but as far as the level of pain and the improvement in her depression, it's been quite impressive. She had been on Prozac and Zoloft which caused all sorts of side affects, mainly brain zaps and falling and was leery of trying another med. From about three months on the cymbalta she said she found she didn't need her pain meds as often. She also has been more active lately than in the last 5+ years!

I'm nervous about going on an AD but feel I may need it, plus if it helps with the pain, that would be a bonus.

I'm American though, so can't help w/ the costs, etc.

3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i know how you feel! i once stopped effexor 300 mg cold turkey. i ended up at the ER twice..i will never forget that!

i never could get off it...i still take 37.5 mg and whenever i try to decrease i become suicidal.

you are so lucky you got off!!

4. dee3

dee3 New Member

and I have been on Cymbalta for only 3 weeks. I have tried many anti-depressants over the past several years, including Effexor. My doctor wanted me to try Cymbalta as I experience a lot of pain. She warned me that a side effect that usually deters people is extreme nausea. I haven't experienced that one, but I now have insomnia, and my pain has not decreased. I am going to continue taking it for another 3 weeks, as she said it would take at least that long for side effects to subside. I still have to take pain killers (Tylenol #1 works best for me) and as far as anti depressant I find I did better with Paxil. I was given samples for 3 weeks, and I filled the other 3 weeks at the drug store for 98.00! I'm at the point where I wouldn't care how much I had to pay if it helped, but unfortunately this drug isn't doing what I hoped. I tried a few weeks of Lyrica last year and did quite well with it. I'm considering going back to that even though it is also very expensive (my plan doesn't cover these drugs either), and I gained some unwanted pounds!
  5. KerryK

KerryK Member

Not that being Canadian matters, but I have been on Cymbalta, 60 mg, since this past summer. The first couple weeks on it were quite rough with side effects but then, quite suddenly, they disappeared and I began to feel much better. As a male, I understand, there is litte benefit for pain, which is true in my case. However, I have found it better for my depression, sleep, and energy issues than any other AD I have ever tried. It is not perfect, but compared to all else so far, I find it worthwhile even though I have to pay for it. For example, every winter, my mood problems worsen and have so for over 2 decades. On cymbalta, I have yet to experience that winter slump. Further, my appetite has not increased as it usually does on most other AD's. I have lost a modest amount of weight since starting it. I find that the cheapest source for it here in Calgary is at the Superstore pharmacy.

As with all medication, we all react differently, but this has been my experience and I believe that it is always worthwhile to try to alleviate suffering.

Good luck!
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

for all your responses! If one of the side effects would be to lose weight, that would be awesome! I will make an appointment with my dr and discuss this further with him.

keep the responses coming!

7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi Raz - I have been on effexor for several years and it has helped me tremendously, even though I know the withdrawal dangers, without it, I couldn't leave the house. However, my doctor had given another fibro patient Cymbalta and it did wonders for her, so she wanted me to try it.

I went straight from Effexor to Cymbalta with no problem, as they are both SNRIs, but it did not help me with pain as well as effexor and I found myself craving sweets and chocolate and actually gaining weight, so after 4 weeks, I went back on my effexor.

It is also VERY expensive, I didn't have a drug plan when I tried it and it was almost $200 for one month!

I believe it is also as hard to withdraw from as effexor.

Good luck with your decision.

Sue in Ontario