Canadians Who've tried a Pain Management Clinic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Dec 6, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Is anyone around who has tried a pain mangement clinic in Canada? I have an appointment next week after a years wait. I'm wondering what to expect. Thanks Laura
  2. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Bump for me!
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

I am having a hard time understanding this. You and Pepper she is from Ottawa having to wait a year. I only had to wait 2 weeks. I was a little leary thinking it was going to be an airy fairy thing. But it is the best thing my doc did for me. I have been treated with dignity and respect by everyone from the support staff to the doc I see. He is currently adjusting my pain medication. He treats me like he has all the time in the world for me. He says I will never be totally pain free but he says I don't have to suffer needlessly. We have a ways to go but after 8 weeks we are making progress. I was fortunate that my rheumatologist sent all the investigations over before I got there. So if you haven't had many investigations they may order some. Just be prepared that this won't be solved in one visit. But be honest with them and tell them everything and don't be afraid to ask questions. Make a list of your concerns before you go. All the best. Here is a chuckle for you. We have 2 pain clinics in our city and one of them is on the second floor no elevator. Honest.
    Cath
    [This Message was Edited on 12/07/2006]
  4. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Hi, Thanks for your post. My Aunt lives in Ottawa and ha sbeen trying to convince me to go there to get treated. I waited 5 months for a Neurologist, 9 months for an MRI, I got an appointment a few weeks ago for a Rheumatologist and appointment is not until Oct 2007! Health care is provincial jurisdiction , but not sure how it works to go to another province. To be quite honest with you, I think my doc my be getting impatient with me, or is not accurately portraying my situation to other health proffesionals. I may just have to go that route if I don't have any luck at pain clinic. I'm not happy about this though. I've been in alot of pain for almost 2 years. Do they allow you to take narcotics? It has been the only thing that has provided me with 'REAL' relief. Thanks so much, Laura
    PS This is the first day in weeks I haven't taken anything yet this morning. Doing ok today!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/07/2006]
  5. abcanada

abcanada New Member

6. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

Are these pain clinics covered by OHIP?? (provincial health care insurance in Ontario) Maybe my doccy-poo will send me to one!!
  7. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

Are these pain clinics covered by OHIP?? (provincial health care insurance in Ontario) Maybe my doccy-poo will send me to one!!
  8. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Well at least I think, my Alberta Health care is paying for mine.
  9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Many of the pain clinics in Ontario are covered by OHIP. Those that use only alternative medicine are not covered unless you have extra insurance.

Kathy
  10. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Has anyone in Kingston gotten to a pain clinic here ? ... I had a chance about 2 years ago and felt too anxious about it .. turned it down .. now I would really like to go but I doubt I have a chance it is almost impossible as far as I have heard ... my husband suffers with a trapped nerve in his groin and he was told no chance ..
    Any info appreciated !
    Joy : )