CANCER SURGERY THE 26TH, HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sandy1, Dec 23, 2002.

1. sandy1

sandy1 New Member

HELLO LONG TIME, NO CONTACT!
    I've been around reading etc. but just when I started figure out how I could live with this DX, BAMM! I get hit with a questionable mamo,ultra-sound,and a biopsy. Then a call to in to hospital for a diagnosis of DCIS.I really want to know if their is anyone with CFID&FMS who has had any kind of surgery? Is their anything I should know about anestesia, or muscle, or nerve healing? Anything that makes surgery different for us? Please answer quickly, I haven't much time. God Bless, Sandy
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I have no experience whatsoever with this, but I just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully an easy recovery.

Karen
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I, too, haven't any experience with surgery--after the onset of CFID/FMS. Did want you to know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Do let us know as soon as you can how you are feeling.
    Try to rest and relax as much as possible before the 26th. Make sure your anethesiologist, and surgeon are aware of these disorders.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Gee, I wish I could answer your questions, but have had no experience. The board is going to be slow for the rest of this week, but I sure hope someone is around to give you some answers tonight or tomorrow!

Will most surely keep you in my prayers too.

Keep your post bumped up, just in case someone is around that can help answer your questions.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I once read that the average FMS (and of course, none of us is really "average", we all respond so differently with this dx) takes about 3 times longer to recover from surgery. I have had a couple of abdominal laparscopic surgeries since FMS (---not the most serious surgeries, but incisions through muscles, nerves, etc) and I feel that I DID take about 3 times longer to heal, but I don't want to discourage you---all I'm saying is, plan to have plenty of rest & recovery time, I don't know if you work, but plan on more time off than the average patient might. Also, make use of your pain meds in this situation---I do not use prescription meds for FMS pain, but I definitely did take my post-surgery pain meds; if you can keep comfortable, your body can heal & you'll be less likely to go into an FMS flare. I have NO problems with general anesthesia (before or after FMS), but everyone is different there. I did heal fine, it just took longer......just allow plenty of time to recover. Please let us know how it all goes, we'll be thinking of you...

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just before my diagnosis but when I was sick with CFS/FMS. It was a big deal surgery which took a year to fully recover from, which is normal for anyone having this done. I did very well, but when I'm having a flare, the bicep muscle does hurt.

I've read here from many people having surgery and I think it's like everything else, it just depends on the person. Bood luck to you. Prayers going up.

Love, Mikie
  7. dobegood

dobegood New Member

If you have any nerve/muscle pains on a daily/regularly basis, it may take longer for the nerves/muscles to "heal" after surgery.

I do not have FM/CFS but I have had 45 surgeries and muscle pain/nerve pain after each one of them. I would imagine that people with FM may feel the after pain a bit stronger than others.

Anestesia: If you use pain killers and muscle relaxers on a daily/regularly basis, you may need more pain killers after the surgery BUT the amount of anestesia should not be effected. What they use for that is a total different kind of "drug" to make you sleep/relax.

Trigger points: I've read that many with FM can't be touched due to severe pain and trigger points. If I am correctly informed, you may be bruised more than "normal".

I hope this is of some help.
  8. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

I have no answers but I know Who does. I'll be praying for you.

Nancy S.
  9. MarieHerman

MarieHerman New Member

Hi Sandy, I have had breast cancer and my thoughts and prayers are with you. I was diagnosed with FM several years after that and have had a couple of minor surgeries since. I actually felt pretty good during those surgeries since the meds they give you seem to help both. I have been cancer free for 8 years and thank God. Let us know how it goes. Hugs to you,
  10. sandy1

sandy1 New Member

It's been awhile but all of you are soo supportive!
    I would have lost it by now if all of you weren't their.
    Thank you is such a small thing to say,but i'm really counting on those prayers. God Bless all of you, SANDY
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

I have had two major sugeries and had no problem with the anethesia at all. I was worried about it because I am allergic to so many things. Actually, I wasn't just worried I was scared to death. The worrying took more out of me than the actual surgery. You will be in my thoughts and I am sure everything will go well for you.

Dara
  12. spaz

spaz New Member

Hello Sandy,
    I had a Breast Biopsy a few years ago,I had a bloody discharge and thought I was a gonner.Turned out to be a lipoma in the milk duct(so much for breast feeding!) Everything went fine.I think I tolerated the pain so well because I live with pain every day. I do now have several lipomas,a few have been removed.They seem to appear in muscles I over use. Which would explain the one in my breast.I would be interested in knowing if you had breast fed (if you have children). Take Care,and Good Luck Tommorrow! Spaz
  13. selma

selma New Member

I'll be Praying for you. All my Love, Selma
  14. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Sandy, I wish I had some encouraging words but unfortunately I don't. I've not had any surgery since my dx.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery! Lisa