cancer underlying fibro cause?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lastormer, Feb 11, 2007.

1. lastormer

lastormer New Member

How many people have had cancer be the underlying illness that caused their fibro symptoms? Every since I read prickles list of underlying causes and saw cancer I have had a growing fear and have been researching like crazy, but haven't really found anything that speaks of the two together.
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

From what I understand, before getting a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, all other causes of your symptoms need to be ruled out.

You should never assume any symptoms are caused by fibromyalgia.
  3. dononagin

dononagin New Member

When I first got sick.. and I was VERY sick.. I wound up seeing an oncologist after seeing a dozen doctors that didn't know what to do with me. Originally he told me I either had lymphoma or aids (my lymph nodes were as big as walnuts... Alot of the symptoms are the same in some cases. Thank God it wasn't either of those, but usually they are amongst the things they rule out.
    I've also been tested for lupus many times, RA, lyme and a multitude of other things.
    I too, had a big fear of it being cancer as I have lost pretty much my entire family to cancer.
  4. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I have numerous times asked the doctor "are you sure its not cancer". I have cancer in my moms side of the family. At one point my doctor sent me to the onoclogist(sp) because my platelets were too high. He ran some tests and put me on iron pills...after a year he seen me again ran some more test and told me I didn't need the iron anymore and everything looked OK and to come back in a year. It hasn't been a year yet. Anyway, I have learned I just have to accept this Dx of FM until proven otherwise. I have done all I know to do and have talked to all the doctors and have had a billion test ran so now I am slowly...learning to take one day at a time. It hard when my bones ache and I'm "sure" in my mind that FM can't cause all this pain. But I think that is why sometimes we are seen as hypochondratics(sp) because we all know we all hurting so back that something seriously must be wrong. Anyway sorry so long winded but I understand how you feel lastormer...just talk to your doctor and he/she can make sure that has been ruled out.

FroggyFog
  5. mcondon

mcondon New Member

I agree with the earlier comments about the sedimentation rate. For what its worth, a well-respected internist in New York told me about seven years ago that 95% of people who are feeling symptomatic because of an underlying cancer will have a high sedimentation rate, anemia, or really abnormal blood counts. In other words, if you are feeling sick but these tests are normal, cancer is most likely not the cause of your symptoms.

6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I must add here that a high sed rate doesn't necessarily mean you have cancer. My sed rate has been high for years and is caused by autoimmune issues and not cancer.

We don't want to scare all those with high sed rates into thinking they have cancer when they may not.

Having said that, testing to rule out cancer is important.

Love Bunchy x
  7. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

My sed rate has been elevated for years too and I did at one time have a high platlet count along with many other abnormal blood test including my liver funtion test.

and now my renal system is looking out of wach for some reason. but I am pretty sure I don't have cancer I think I would be felling a lot worse tahn I do right now if I did.

Puffy
  8. lastormer

lastormer New Member

WEll, I have another appointment with the neuro Doc in two weeks to get the results of the Sleep study, I think I might ask him to run the test that ya'll suggested. Thanks so much, as I would have never known to ask for these specific test.

Have a GREAT Day!
    Rachael
  9. rlafave

rlafave New Member

Hi,
    I have had fibromyalgia now going on six years and I don't have cancer in any form, but during my research on the matter I have found that while I was in Vietnam 68-71 I was exposed to agent orange which fell onto my skin all over me
    and just six years ago it came to surface. I have pain from the top of my head to the tips of my toes and it is getting worse by the day. my jaw is so painful along with my eyes and my hearing is going also. So I am detererating health and I am only 56 and I feel like 80. I wish I could see other people from Vietnam service with Fibro and they can let me know how far along they are and did the VA help??
    They said good bye to me, your problem...