Candida/birth control

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donnaba, May 7, 2006.

1. donnaba

donnaba New Member

I believe I have systemic candida(and have had it for a long time)I'm staring to take an antifungal(SF722, undecanoic acid), and trying to adjust my diet. What about birth control pills. I take a low-dose pill. Am I supposed to give those up?

Thanks, Donna
  2. millennia

millennia New Member

bumping for more info
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

As with everything, we have to weigh the benefits and the drawbacks of our choices. Is it more important at this time for you to continue the birth control pills? What are your alternatives? How realistic are they for you at this time? What are the pros and cons of the alternatives?

I'm not familiar with the anti-fungal you're on. Are you also taking probiotics? What's your diet looking like?

Adjusting to an anti-candida diet and lifestyle can be a real challenge. Sometimes we have to do it in steps so that it's not overwhelming. Start with what you can do right now, and then build from there. As St. Francis of Assissi said:

"Start by doing what's necessary,
    then what's possible, and
    suddenly you are doing the impossible."

At Dr. Mercola's website (mercola dot com) it says regarding birth control pills and candida:

"The use of birth control pills is a major risk factor for developing yeast overgrowth because it promotes estrogen dominance. Because birth control pills give a woman's hormonal system a continual stream of estrogen, an imbalance is created. Science has shown us that there is a close link between estrogen dominance and yeast overgrowth."

A helpful website on candida diet and lifestyle is wholeapproach dot com. I printed off their list of foods best to eat, foods to avoid, and foods in the middle. They also say that birth control pills should be avoided when possible, as they promote yeast overgrowth.

Lifestyle considerations that will enhance your treatment program (from wholeapproach dot com):

1. Take control of your diet by preparing most of your food yourself.

2. Eat nutrient-rich, organic, minimally-processed whole foods.

3. Optimize your intake of essential-fatty-acid rich food sources through the use of healing fats and oils.

4. Eat a wide variety of foods, preferably by following the four-day rotation diet.

5. Drink plenty of purified water. Drink half your body weight in ounces (for example if you weigh 140 lbs, you should drink at least 70 ounces of water). Whether you have city water or well water, consider investing in a water purification system (i.e. reverse osmosis) or buy high quality purified water that is stored in non-porous plastic or glass.

6. Drug use, alcohol consumption and smoking lower your immunity - so avoid them.

7. Exercise regularly, allow adequate time for sleep. Develop effective stress management and relaxation skills to help combat both physical and emotional stress.

8. Avoid unnecessary use of antibiotics, steroid drugs and birth control pills when possible since they promote the overgrowth of candida.

It's all a process. Best wishes and take care.
    Hopeful4