Candida DieOff How long?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Oct 29, 2006.

1. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I've been on anti-fungals for 4 weeks. The die-off started on day 4 and it seems to be getting worse after 4 weeks. Is this normal? How long did it last for you?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Are you also eating a sugar/refined foods and yeast/mold-free diet too? This is also necessary.

When I first did it, it took me a long time to feel better, as it was very gradual... it took a couple of years for me really; and that was without even taking an antifungal, just the elimination diet. I guess because I'd been so strict on the diet for several years, that when I did take an antifungal (nystatin), I didn't have any setbacks.

Hopefully some others will come along with their experiences too!

all the best,
    Victoria

3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Lisa, when I went on a special diet for Candidiasis and took anti-fungals, the die-off effects last about a month. I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. Then it just stopped one day and I started to feel good. That lasted about a month. Then I had some major life stressors and travel and went into a flare from which I have never recovered. This was over a year ago.

I hope you do better than I did.

Lolalee
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Based on the comments on this board, it seems to vary a lot even if the same stuff is used.

It also depends on how much candida you have.

I think the "candida diet" is too excessive, especially since CFS patients probably will have recurrences from time to time. I definitely eat no sugar, try not to eat much white flour, am not big on fruit juices, eat at most a piece of fruit a day. White rice I will eat on occasion. These seem good habits to have _all_ the time, not just when you're doing candida.

You may not want to kill off too much at once. Taking a smaller dose of Nystatin or alternative remedies at first may make die-off less severe or no big deal, even though it will take longer.

For many people, Diflucan and the like work with no die-off at all. I think you've got to be on them for a long time (months) for them to have any real lasting effect, and probably to accompany them with other yeast killers (so that you don't end up with all Diflucan-resistant yeast). Not a lot of doctors will prescribe Diflucan more than a month, even though it's pretty safe (if you get liver tests) and cheap now that you can get it generic.

A very good way to get rid of die-off instantly is to get a colonic. That washes all the gunk out of your intestines, including all the dead yeast. I've written a bunch of posts about them recently. They're not available everywhere, and in Kansas you appear to need a prescription (!), though.

Another thing to consider is activated charcoal. It works reasonably well in absorbing stuff. Don't take it at the same time as supplements (or especially medications) though, since it will absorb that as well as the yeast. The colonics work much better, though.
  5. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Thank you for all the advice.

I have been following the diet, hard!!!

I'm on Sporanix and nystatin, allergic to everything else. The books and internet articles I searched through yesterday said the herx effect would last 7 days! I'm on four weeks, so tired and sore i can barely move. Was getting worse 3 months before yeast treatment so I wans't sure if it was the treatment or just getting worse.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Based on my readings on the board, it seems that being more ill at a particular period of time can increase die-off reactions substantially.

So if you were feeling bad to begin with, it would make sense that your symptoms are taking longer to go away.

Be sure to use lots and lots of probiotics. My doctor (who is very good) says 10 billion organisms per day, which is equal to 10 standard capsules. Some people say that they get die-offs from the probiotics. I've never found that, but in any case the long-term benefit that you're getting is substantial since a probiotic-filled gut will obviously be more yeast resistant.
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Thanks for all the responses, so appreciate it. I wish I knew when this would end!.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]