Candida diet is depressing me, although has helped a little.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I know it's crazy to start a Candida diet right around the holidays, but I just needed to see if I could do it.

I have suspected Candida to be a problem with me even though I have FMS, TMJ, migraines, IBS.

I haven't started taking any antifungals yet, I first wanted to try eliminating sugar, while flour and basically junk from my diet.

I'm tired of hearing people at work talk about holiday parties, food, going out for dinners and clubs. I can barely leave my house when I get home from work because of brain fog, pain, you all know. I bring salads to work and use only extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I'm tired of people always asking me stupid questions like, why do you eat such plain stuff. I feel once again like a freak or something. And I do miss the sugar, the cravings have only stopped a little. On the positive note, I do feel lighter like I have maybe lost a few pounds, but I don't think I can go on like this for months.

This diet is CRUEL, LOL. So far I'm on day 9 with NO SUGAR. It was extremely hard for me as sugar is what I crave so much that I think it's basically an addition as well as a Candida problem.

I have extra stressors going on too, my father is elderly and ill, my job is too competitive and I can't always keep up, money is tight for the holidays, and I want a Snickers bar, LOL. I'm trying to keep a sense of humor, but sugar or candida die off is really starting to depress me. I feel light headed, foggy, and my IBS is still bothering me.

Any suggestions on how to cope with everthing, or sugar cravings? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. turtlesyndrome

turtlesyndrome New Member

I can relate. When I first stopped eating sugar 2 years ago the cravings were very hard, and they still are hard. I do eat unrefined sugars now, and other things that are fruit juice sweetened.

However, when I first stopped sugar I relied heavily on artificial sweetners (like splenda) and also natural sweetners like stevia. Using them really really helped. When I craved chocolate I would always by sugar-free chocolate. When I craved cookies I would by sugar free cookies, etc..

Now I eat very little junk-food. I do by cookies and chocolate, but I look very closely at the ingredients. I also eat raw garlic everyday, been doing it for a few weeks now. I put about 2 med/large garlic cloves through a garlic press, and then I add a little veggie juice or water to the pressed garlic, and then I drink it rapidly like a shot.

About 2 years ago I was on anti-fungals (diflucan and nystatin) for many months. Now I just try to eat as little sugar as possible. I try to substitute fruit for candy. And I buy my chocolate and cookies at the health food store because they are all natural and the sugars are unrefined.

The only fruit juice I drink is the one apple I put in my daily fresh vegetable juice. As far as craving go, I would have to say that the number one thing that helped me was Splenda and Stevia. And also I would say it is better to cheat every once and a while than to give up all together. If you really want to give up sugar than you will. Good Luck! "Go easy and if you can't go easy, then go as easy as you can."
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I tried and failed on the low sugar diet. The sugar cravings were TOO much for me. I tried anti-candida herbs but the die-off feelings were overwhelming. They helped but I failed to stay off sugar spiking.

I had the best success with Three-LAC. Its 3 strains of Lactobacillus (buttermilk) bacteria compete for space in the large intestine and crowd out the yeast. The die-off feelings were minimal and I don't have sugar cravings!!!

I now take ProBiotics with as many strains as possible. Probiotics are the name given to healthy bacteria. Acidophilus (yogurt) and there are 8 others found in cheese. Do this especially after any antibiotic treatment as antibiotics kill the good bacteria too.

Several anti-fungals are VERY hard on the liver.
  4. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

When I first went on a candida diet in 1990, it was very difficult. I use to go to the grocery store clutching the cart as it was so difficult resisting strong cravings. When I first started it, I was very rigid and faithful to the diet -- no sugar of any kind (cornstarch, molasses, etc), no white flour, nothing fermented or aged (no cheese), no fruit, no grains of any kind (no gluten). I ate only red meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables, and rice eventually. Eating meat when you have sugar cravings will reduce the craving. I followed the rigid diet for several years, but I never could eliminate candida completely in spite of taking multiple supplements. Because of that I eventually started cheating on bread and cheese and fruit. Sugar, however, has remained on my avoidance list. After a certain time period, I did not crave sugar very often. In fact, often I can feel an immediate negative reaction if I eat a high sugar item ie. cake, cookies, etc. and so I'm motivated to not eat high sugar items. Once you can get past the sugar cravings, you will feel better. I have lost interest in sugar.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

* I've found Week 2 of stopping sugar to be the hardest. It won't go on like this forever. After another week or so, you should start to feel better.

* Natural sugars (including fruit juices) will make your sugar cravings continue indefinitely. If you want to stop craving sugar, you've got to cut it out of your diet _entirely_, forever and ever. No exceptions. If you give in a little bit, it will make you unhappy forever. If you're stalwart, eventually you will stop wanting it. (Think of it as giving up cigarettes, or an alcoholic giving up booze.)

* There is some research that suggests that artificial sweeteners make the body keep craving sugar and also increase appetite. It may well be better not to use them, if you want the cravings to go away permanently.

* I wrote a post for the current hypoglycemia thread, and am going to paste it here.

* For yeast die-off, be sure to keep regular by any means necessary. Colonics (colon hydrotherapy) can be very helpful, especially if you're at all constipated. Having one at the end of my last yeast clean-out was a lifesaver. (After going for 6 years with no sugar and no yeast problems, I decided that perhaps I could have a small amount of dessert on occasion....maybe once every couple of weeks. BIG MISTAKE!!! Learn from my example, please.)

MY POST FROM THE HYPOGLYCEMIA THREAD:

I don't want to be a spoil sport, but I've heard from a number of sources that the ideal way--and maybe the only way--to really control hypoglycemia is by eating no sugar.

That means:

NO SUGAR EVER!!!

Not even one teaspoon. Not even a couple of bites of birthday cake to be polite. Not even a bite of a chocolate bar (unless it's unsweetened) when you're desperate.

The theory here goes:

1) You eat sugar. You glucose level skyrockets.

2) In order to compensate for the high glucose level, your body creates insulin.

3) Based on this experience, your body believes it will need a higher level of insulin all the time, and begins to churn more of it out.

4) Higher insulin levels make your blood sugar level drop. If they drop somewhat, your appetite increases (causing possible weight gain). If they drop farther, you experience hypoglycemic attacks.

If you stop eating sugar, you will put a stop to this pattern. The body will stop expecting sugar and will pump out less insulin. You thus will need less frequent snacks to compensate.

But you have to NEVER eat sugar to do it. Otherwise your body will believe that sugar is coming and be prepared for it.

It's hard to break a sugar addiction. Sugar is not a food--it has no nutritional value whatsoever. In terms of its addictive potential and its lack of any benefit whatsoever for the body, it is far more like a drug than it is like a food.

Sugar addictions are hard to break. You really have to go cold turkey. It's like cigarettes---you can't just cut back a little bit at a time.

Breaking a sugar addiction takes maybe 2 to 4 weeks. During that time, you will want sugar a _lot_ because your body will be trying to bring down those insulin levels.

In addition, if you have intestinal yeast problems, they will be causing problems too, because they won't be getting any food and will be dying off. You'll likely get a herx from it.....meaning feelings of fogginess and more fatigue than usual.

In addition to stopping sugar, cut back at least somewhat on white flour it converts to sugar very fast in the digestive system. (If you do have white flour, don't eat it by itself or with just other carbohydrates. Make sure you eat a good bit of protein along with it, so that your blood sugar doesn't skyrocket as much.) Avoid fruit juice too; it has some nutritive value, but the sugar level in it is too high, if you have a sugar addiction.

Compensate during this time with lots of snacks as well as regular meals. A combination of complex carbohydrates and proteins is best. If you start to feel faint, rest. if you absolutely must, have a small amount of fruit juice followed by a protein snack. Only do this in case of a real emergency.

Take chromium during this time. Lots of water also seems to help, although I'm not sure why.

After several weeks, the body will realize it doesn't need to pump out all that insulin and the hypoglycemia will fade. If you're starving the yeast during this time, that may take a bit longer. But ultimately that will be good for you too.

It is estimated that within 10 years, 60 million Americans will have Type 2 diabetes. This is a very serious disease and hard to reverse once it starts. Cutting sugar out of the diet early will make that far less likely to be a problem.

It seems impossible at first to imagine a world without sugar. I know that. But after a while, you don't even miss it. it's like cigarettes---not even relevant to your life. But you've got to get off it cold turkey before you can get to this point.

Not every single medical professional agrees with the theory about why sugar is so addictive as presented above. But you would be very hard-pressed to find one who didn't say that the problem can be solved without cutting out sugar altogether. Anything else---chromium, small meals, whatever---are just band-aids.

So very very very very sorry, though.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Virgin coconut oil is very effective in getting rid of candida, although it will give you die-off symptoms. But it's also good for your thyroid and skin, so you can keep taking it regularly and it should keep candida under control. It is also effective against certain bacteria and viruses. There have been several posts on this --

Mary
  7. jarjar

jarjar New Member

It was wiped out by using a product called Nature Biotics. I have had test done with Great Smokies Lab that blew away my doc when there was no sign of Candida in the stool test.
    You only have to take one tab a day for an extended period and you will be amazed.
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks to all who replied to my post. The understanding and informative answers are so appreciated.

For all who have mentioned Stevia, I did buy the liquid form. However, I only use it in my decaffenated coffee and I mix it in my plain lowfat yogurt. I don't think they have any snacks like cookies or cakes that are sweetened with the Stevia.

I will be purchasing Garlic in a few weeks to take along with this diet. I also have heard just from researching that Grapefruit seed extract is also a good antifungal.

I will get through the Holidays, I guess I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself right now. Maybe I'm experiencing some diet off, I have dry mouth and unfortunately my fibro pain has only slightly decreased since I cut out sugar. Maybe my body was too toxic and I need more time. Anyway, thank you for the informative responses. Hugs to all, Chelz.