Candida Diet Recipes for Salad Dressing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by LISALOO, Feb 9, 2008.

1. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Help, I need ideas for the candida diet for salad dressing.

If I don't thank you right away, I'm really on a herx, but I appreciate any ideas.
  2. Catseye

Catseye New Member

I know that coconut oil and raw garlic will kill yeast so if you can incorporate those into a dressing . . . but not sure how it would taste, I've never made a dressing with coconut oil. I love coconut oil, I eat it with a spoon. I would try

coconut oil
    crushed garlic
    dijon mustard
    apple cider vinegar
    tahini
    lemon juice
    honey

I don't measure it, I'm so used to it I just throw everything together. Go heavy on the oil and tahini and just a little of the other stuff is about all I can tell you. Just start putting it together and tasting it and you'll come up with what's the most palatable for you.

This is what I put in my salad dressing except I use olive oil instead of coconut oil. I guess I may try the coconut oil for a change next time, I just never thought of using it before. And you'll want to make a fresh batch for each salad, or make it with everything except the garlic. Reason being, you want the garlic crushed and then eaten soon after or it loses it's killing properties after awhile. So you have the dressing in the fridge without garlic and when you're ready to eat your salad, crush some garlic and throw it on top with the salad dressing.

best wishes,

karen
  3. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Unfortunately I'm allergic to garlic! I thought mustard or anything with vinegar in it wasn't allowed?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2008]
  4. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Uh oh about the garlic. I eat this stuff and lots of garlic separately and the garlic kills off the yeast anyway. If you can't eat the garlic, then I'm at a loss for what to tell you! Sorry!

Maybe you could try Candex? It's an enzyme formula that's really effective against candida.

karen
  5. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Yes, I've tried Candex. My local DO gave me something to try, never heard of it before - Thorne Formula SF722.

My doctor diagnosed me w/ too much acid, so I have to have more veggies, and I can do that if I can still have salad!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2008]
  6. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt is probably the safest, strictest Candida diet salad dressing.

Personally, I just use olive oil and apple cider vinegar on everything, and it tastes great to me! But if that's too plain for you, you could mix it with dried mustard and/or herbs.

If you want a creamy salad dressing, you could probably make something yummy with yogurt, lemon juice, salt, and various spices.

Hope these help.
  7. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I agree with the posted above me. It is what my Natureopath said to use. You can add garlic to it as well.
  8. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Coconut good for immune system.

Tina
  9. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Great suggestions, but my dr said no dairy, even organic yogurt!
  10. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Great suggestions, but my dr said no dairy, even organic yogurt!
  11. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Most dressings are a combination of oil + acid. Olive oil and lemon works for candida and is tasty as well.

If you are looking for the thick, sugary salad dressings popular in the U.S., then the challenge is to find a fat to use as a thickener. If you can't use yogurt, then you could try tahini or any other kind of nut paste in order to thicken your dressing. You could also try making homemade mayonnaise that you flavor with herbs and spices. You could even try putting an avocado in the blender to use as a base for oil, lemon juice, and herbs.

Ultimately, though, the challenge with treating Candida is to retrain your taste buds to find simple flavors tastier than processed food. I currently eat a limited diet (although not a strict Candida diet, because like Lisa Petrison I don't think it's healthy long-term), and it was easier than I imagined to stop craving junk and enjoy eating veggies.

-febricula
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2008]
  12. jasmin0flower

jasmin0flower Member

There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to eliminate candida long-term and find healthy diet options to replace foods that feed the candida. You can visit candidaholistic . com Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it