Candida diet - what about bread?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 23, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

A quick question - on the candida diet, can you eat bread? If not, is there any kind that you can eat instead?

I usually eat organic multigrain bread and don't want to give this up! :0

Alison
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

A quick question - on the candida diet, can you eat bread? If not, is there any kind that you can eat instead?

I usually eat organic multigrain bread and don't want to give this up! :0

Alison
  3. selma

selma New Member

under Candida. Also search above and library.

Good luck.
  4. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

The yeast in bread is bad and so is the sugar used to activate the yeast. There are flat breads- like whole grain pita -that I think you can eat- check the label for sugar or yeast. Also I think something like udon noodles from the healthfood store will make a good bread substitute, just don't eat too much. Again, check the label.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2002]
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You can eat melba toast, rye krisp and I think matzo is OK. None of those are risen, which is the problem with all other breads.
    Klutzo
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

Ya can't even nibble on a bread crumb!!!I'm looking into the candida diet too and it does'nt sound to promising!!!LOL

I just love my toast!Good luck if you try the diet without cheating~I acually went 3 months without bread(last year),I could'nt take it anymore!!!(I did lose weight tho.)
    take care,
    Tracey
  7. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi guys,

I've just been checking, and yes, whole grain pita bread is fine - yay!!! Apparently you can also get yeast-free, gluten-free, sugar-free bread - so I'll be looking for this at the end of the week (and reading the label very carefully).

Anyway, at least with the pita bread I feel like I won't be missing out. You can also toast it.

Alison
  8. herblady

herblady New Member

any grain you use for bread is carbohydrate. which turns into sugar in your blood. so maybe bread is out. if i were on that diet i would eliminate bread. cindi
  9. ali-may

ali-may New Member

You're absolutely right about that! But I admit I'm going to find it impossible to never have bread - I may have to go on a 'modified' diet and have some pita bread occasionally. Maybe it will take longer for the candida to go away like this, but as they say, a modified diet is better than no diet at all.

Thanks for the heads up!

Alison
  10. herblady

herblady New Member

there are foods i love too much to eliminate for any reason so i know where you're coming from. cindi
  11. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Cutting out dairy is the hardest thing for me - I LOVE cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, cheese sauces... (sigh!) But I can do that so long as I can have the occasional piece of bread/pita bread.

Alison
  12. sean

sean New Member

Although I believe there is some kind of link between candida and fibromyagia (FM possibly being candida in the muscles)I personally don't believe that bread is really a problem with most people. People with candida have a tendency to have many allergies to foods, and it is probably the case that with some, that bread is a problem. The yeast in bread is not the same as that which lives in the gut,(Candida albicans, and can be found in other areas I think its easy to get obsessed with candida diets, and end up, not getting proper nutrition which will only make things worse. I believe everyone with FM, candida should avoid sugar as much as they possibly can though. I speak from personal experience, if you follow a strict candida diet, you need expert help and advice don't attempt to do it your self by reading books, at the very least you will stress yourself out trying to avoid every so called bad food.
  13. herblady

herblady New Member

sugar is candida's favorite food. cindi
  14. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Luckily I don't have TOO much trouble cutting out the refined sugars - although there is a BAG of chocolate in our kitchen cupboard (my sister is a part-time tour guide at a chocolate factory and so she gets a lot of chocolate and gives it to us!)... this is quite tempting, esp. when my partner is eating it (and eating things like cake right in front of me)!!!

Ali