Candida - How long to use herbs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 28, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

This may seem like a silly question, but during an anti-candida program, how long should you use herbs for? I'm doing a rotational program and am feeling a lot better after only just over a week on Pau d'Arco (plus the anti-candida diet). From tomorrow I start enteric-coated Garlic.

How long after I feel better should I continue the anti-fungal herbs?

And is there any point to trying colloidal silver if I already feel better?

Lastly, should I be passing white, funny looking stuff in my BM's yet? I've heard that you're supposed to - but I'm not, and I was wondering if that's a necessary part of recovery.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

This may seem like a silly question, but during an anti-candida program, how long should you use herbs for? I'm doing a rotational program and am feeling a lot better after only just over a week on Pau d'Arco (plus the anti-candida diet). From tomorrow I start enteric-coated Garlic.

How long after I feel better should I continue the anti-fungal herbs?

And is there any point to trying colloidal silver if I already feel better?

Lastly, should I be passing white, funny looking stuff in my BM's yet? I've heard that you're supposed to - but I'm not, and I was wondering if that's a necessary part of recovery.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I studied Naturopathic Medicine for two years, specializing in Nutritional medicine. I have also fought my own battles with the yeastie beasties.

I'd stay on the treatment for at least 2 months, maybe longer. Yeasts are tough little b**tards and are hard to kill. Are there any alternative practitioners in your area who use dark electron microscopy? Just one session would be enough to know if you still have fermentation bubbles in your blood or not and that is the definitive test of whether or not you need more therapy.

If you go back to eating refined sugars, you almost certainly will have a problem with yeast overgrowth again. A good preventative to use all the time is a Probiotic mixture. Add plenty of raw garlic to your meals. Also, if you must take antibiotics, ask for a prescription for Nystatin to go along with it, and get enough to last you for 2 weeks beyond the end of your antibiotics. These steps will help keep the problem from getting out of hand again.

I don't believe in using colloidal minerals. Their molecules are too large to be absorbed by humans. Save your cash.

I have never heard of white stuff in BM's due to natural yeast treatment, so I would not worry too much about it not being there.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Best of luck,
    Klutzo
  4. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Thanks for your help! On your advice, I'll stay on treatment for 2 months (including the diet, which I have to admit I'm kind of enjoying! So long as chicken and fish are on the menu, I'm happy :D)

I'll probably never go back to my old diet, as before I started anti-candida treatment I was gradually phasing it out anyway - adding more raw veg, not having white bread, cutting RIGHT down on sugars, etc. I battle with my weight a little bit, so if I keep that in mind I'm unlikely to binge out on sweets and carbs when I've finished treatment.

I may also take an antifungal herb on a daily basis (lower dose) as a preventative measure. Such as garlic.

To anyone who thinks candida is their problem, DO try an anti-candida programme, as I know that I for one am feeling much better - I actually woke up at 7am this morning, of my own accord - no alarm clock! How I feel during each day can vary, I don't feel great all day long - but my "good" periods are currently outweighing the "bad". And that's only a week and a half into the treatment.

(Fingers crossed I don't tempt fate and relapse this afternoon!!!)

Ali
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I did the probiotic thing pretty heavy for a few weeks, do the candida diet, (80% adherence maybe) has helped a lot!!!!

I had it pretty bad, systemic, I did have the white stuff, it was pretty disgusting but I was considering it progress, I see it occasionally now.

Never thought I would be so inerested to see what I am passing.

The zapper helps to pass some interesting stuff too. My hubby thinks it is pretty strange but he recently got me an incredible microscope, I will no doubt be looking at more that spiders and leaves and hair strands when he is at work, I may be pretty twisted but I think if we could all go to the bathroom a lot more efficiently we would be healthier.

Jaci
  6. herblady

herblady New Member

when i had a stool sample taken and they found an overgrowth of yeast (i had been trying to tell people for years that i had it) i had no visible signs in my stool. no white stuff. maybe it looks differently in the colon, i don't know. but yes, do take the herbs like klutzo said, they can fool you into thinking they aren't there. cindi
  7. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Instead of starting the enteric-coated garlic today, I thought I would give kolorex (horopito extract) a try. I hear it's great for candida, esp. when combined with anise. So I bought the kolorex combination that comes with anise - you just take 1 kolorex + 1 anise capsule at the same time once a day.

So I'll do this for a week or two, and then switch to the garlic supplement. I'll keep rotating herbs for a couple of months.

Having chicken for dinner tonight with LOTS of garlic to flavour it! :p