Candida - Thrush on Tongue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Apr 7, 2011.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Why won't doctors admit that someone has thrush - mine is on my tongue but no where else in my mouth. My tongue gets sore and has the white coating. Now, I'm thinking my nausea is stemming from the thrush- my taste is horrible, no foods taste good.

I tested positive a few years ago from a tongue culture - said candida. Why won't doctors look at this as being a real issue, especially in the GI tract. They say everyone has it! Well, maybe, but if it is an overgrowth, symptoms arise.

Anyway, I talked my GI doctor into a protocol with liquid Nystatin. Only one day so far and doing a bit better.

Anyone with a thrush problem that can add to this discussion? Other than Nystatin - any other natural supplements (that will not upset my stomach, please)?

I know you have to watch your diet - I went cold turkey on this diet once and it almost landed me in the hospital. My ketones were high and body wasting away. So, I guess the diet in moderation for a while.

Thanks all---
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

The Candida diet is pretty harsh isn't it?

Maybe try supplementing with a broad spectrum probiotic (away from any meds) and try a diet higher in protein and lower in carbs eg lots of meat or fish and veg and try to steer clear of too many simple carbs eg sugars, white bread, pasta and also any fermented foods.

Hope you feel better soon.

Love Bunchy x
  3. luigi21

luigi21 Member

are you asthmatic sometimes the pumps make candida worse. if not probiotics will even out the problem in the GI tract, they can give you medication for your tongue candida. cut down on refined sugar and yeast.

all the best
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Yes, I do use one, but my husband uses one also and doesn't get the thrush. I rinse my mouth after each use and he doesn't. I think because my immune system is down I have more trouble. My mom just said I had thrush as a child too - who knows I may have never gotten rid of it. A couple of my children had it when they were babies.
  5. goneee

goneee New Member

Boy do I feel your pain. I developed Candida (thrush in the mouth) after a course of antibiotics.

After many doctor visits and a trip to the hospital for a week due to the Candida getting out of control even though I had been put on short courses of Nystatin, Difulcan, etc., none of the doctors could get rid of it.

It also spread into my stomach causing severe weight loss and dehyration. After seeing many different primary care physicians, 5 gastro docs and a infectious disease doctor, my psychiatrist ( of all doctors) referred me to another infectious disease doctor that was very well known.

After battling this for 2 years, this new physician took one look at the problem and immediately put me back on Difulcan daily for 10 days, then every other day for 1 year. Finally it is completely gone. He did monitor my liver enzymes every 3 month, but they stayed fine. He also told me that if by chance it did come back that I was to immediately start back on the Difulcan for 10 days and then go to once a week for a month.

As of now, I am doing great. The candida has gone. He said that what was happening is I was not being treated long enough to kill ALL of the fungus. He also said something that I thought was interesting. I had been told to take probiotics to get rid of the candida (which I did without any success), but he said there was no need to do so, as candida was a fungus that grew and even though probiotics are good, it was not going to help this.

Good luck. It is now such a blessing not to have to deal with that horrible fungus anymore.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2011]
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

A white coating on your tongue might not neccesarily be thrush. It could be from the foods and drink that you consume. Oral thrush are usually white lesions that are painful and bleed if you scrap them.