Canes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by timmissyh, Sep 12, 2002.

1. timmissyh

timmissyh New Member

I am new here and was reading the board. I have just been diagnosed with FMS and have been on the run around with drs, tests, the whole 9 yards...I was floored with the post of canes being used by many! Specially since this past 6 months I have labled myself as clumsy! I have now have very weak ankles and legs of jello most of the time. At what age and/or after how long after having this ugly DD did you start needing a cane?

I must say that reading here has been educational, heart-breaking and an eye-opener! Thanks to all for being here!
    Missy
  2. timmissyh

timmissyh New Member

I am new here and was reading the board. I have just been diagnosed with FMS and have been on the run around with drs, tests, the whole 9 yards...I was floored with the post of canes being used by many! Specially since this past 6 months I have labled myself as clumsy! I have now have very weak ankles and legs of jello most of the time. At what age and/or after how long after having this ugly DD did you start needing a cane?

I must say that reading here has been educational, heart-breaking and an eye-opener! Thanks to all for being here!
    Missy
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello Missy, not all of us need the use of canes and such, some of us have other illnesses as well as Fibro/CFS.

I have had Fibro and mild arthritis for 20 years, I do not need assistance to walk. I just need to pace myself not to get overtired.

Please don't worry, some of us are in worst condition than others, and of course many have other illnesses along with the FM/CFS.

YOu take care, and please come often and read and post. We will love having you.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom,Shirl
  4. ruthiepie

ruthiepie New Member

I use a cane because I have BPPV (positional vertigo...when I move my head, it throws me off balance)....also have FMS/MPS and....hurting this morning, so this is short...God Bless....
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Welcome to the board.
    I use a cane and I have for 6 years now, but not all the time. I use it when I know I have a lot of walking to do, I fall a lot because of my MPS and the Triggerpoints that can play havoc with my balance.

I also have buckling knees and ankles, but they are stronger some days than others, so on the Hurt day's I use the cane.

I have OA, DDD and Spinal Stenosis also, and that also makes using a cane necessary at time's.

If you need one now go ahead an use one, it will take some of the strain off the body and I know that will help.

You can make them look jazzy too by painting them, and also someone here made a suggestion about putting cloth on them. Great Idea, I'll have to go check out who said that. Like to give credit where credit is due, on good idea's. ;o0

Have a Great Day, nice to meet you,
    Sincerely,
    kredca4/sharon