Canine companions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jacqulyne, May 24, 2009.

1. Jacqulyne

Jacqulyne New Member

I read that service dogs can help and are good for people with FM. I was wondering if any of you have one and how you went about getting one and if they do indeed help. Also how do they help? I read they are great to help keep a person with FM balanced so that whole fear of tipping over and taking out the little old lady in the produce section is not an issue. (I've tipped over more times then I care to count) I have a little bitty, tiny 4 pound dog that stands all of 8 in high. If I tried to use her and tipped over, I'm afraid I would send her sailing!
    Thanks for the help.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, I too have a 4 pound little dog that I adore but doesn't help much unless I need to be in bed all day.

I'd suggest doing an internet search for Fibro service dogs.

At one point a few years ago, we were looking into getting a golden as a 'service' dog for my mentally ill daughter but it didn't happen. We visited a breeder in Austria (we live in Stuttgart Germany) and she has pups who have gone into service.

The fetch things for you, help you stand up with their sturdy backs it's worth it to look into.