Canker Sores Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valleyann, Jun 30, 2006.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you get canker sores? Do you know what they are from? And what do you use to treat them?

Thanks a bunch!
    Val
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

google it and you will find info on how to help it...and when to seek advice...usualy gone in 7-10 days..

jodie
  3. reckabek

reckabek New Member

I get em, some months none some a few times, like i just had 3 at one time, 1 time i had a HUGE one, it was so painful. Um i do know it is said to come along as a symtom of fibro. But my extended family gets em around the time aunt "flo" comes to visit.... well thats just nasty...lol...best of wishes to your findings...beck
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

And i just hate them. They are so embarrassing! i have 2 right now. Seems like I've had them for months now. I am guessing they are caused from viruses. Sorry if you have them too!

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Mine improved ina MAJOR way , by taking extra folic acid and B complex vitamins.

I found zilactin, and canka , to be VERY helpful . Both of these are drug store over the counter remedy products .
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

ABREVA- You can get it at Wal-Mart or CVS. It is in a little tube. It is kind of expensive, but it will zap them away pretty darn quick. If you feel one coming up, you can put some on the spot and it will get rid of it before it becomes a sore. I think it might be 15-20 dollars. But totally worth it.

Kriket
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

If my body becomes overacidic as a result of foods, stress, etc., I'll get them, but since learning this and suffering for years with them..............found my solution:

1. tsp baking soda in water to reduce acid
    2. eat only alkaline foods til gone
    3. for immediate relief: AMOSAN from local drug store
    (it's a mouthwash I found years ago, and has saved
    me from days of pain)

Good luck!!

LIGHT*************carole
  8. Nikki

Nikki Member

I've been dealing w/canker sores since my teens. I'm now almost 61.

Rembrandt Toothpaste for Canker Sores helped for a long time. Altho, I did have break thrus every now and then.

I couldn't find Rembrandt at the drug store several mos. ago, so I bought Biotene Toothpast and Mouthwash. It's also for dry mouth which most of us suffer from.

It works GREAT. Now, if I start to feel that tingle that means a canker sore will soon follow, it just clears up before it ever develops.

It's rather expensive - just like Rembrandt; but, it is sooo worth it. The Biotene is also in a gel form and I like brushing my teeth with it.

I've found Biotene at CVS. The grocery stores don't usually stock it.

Good Luck!

Nikki

9. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies to my post! I have been using salt and warm water for years now and that has usually worked. But it isn't working for me this time... my canker sore has gotten really big. It keeps getting irritated by eating, drinking, and talking. So I was wondering if any of you has tried anything to numb the pain such as Oragel?

Thanks.
    Val
  10. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. I tend to disagree about canker sores being another name for cold sores. They aren't the same thing really. Cold sores is a form of herpes and it is contageous. Canker sores are not contageous and doctors haven't really proven why they come about...

Anyways, I'm not trying to offend anyone...but I just thought I'd set the record straight on that.

Thanks!
    Val
  11. HuggyBear1

HuggyBear1 New Member

Hi,
    I used to get canker sores all the time even before I knew I had FM and CFS. They are usually caused by a lot of acid in your system. I had to quit eating oranges (although grapefruit did not bother me) and I had to eat yellow tomatoes which don't have acid in them. I don't remember the name of it or if they even make it anymore since this was so long ago, but I used to get this powder stuff in a little bottle that I would puff on to the canker sores and it would heal them. Worked great but haven't been able to find it anymore.
  12. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I think what HuggyBear1 is saying about having too much acid in the body can cause canker sores, is so true! Because I also have acid reflux (GERD), so that is probably why I get these canker sores.

I also read that it might have something to do with how your kidneys/liver are/is functioning... here is a quote I pulled off of a website:

"Sores arise as a discharge of waste that is not being cleansed by the liver and kidneys. Canker sores, therefore, indicate a depressed liver and kidney function. Treatment consists of strengthening both of these organs so that blood can be more efficiently cleansed and detoxified."

I also have a high ALT enzyme count and am being tested for liver disease... so I could probably contribute most or all of my symptoms back to my liver (having GERD could be a result of the liver producing too much acid & bile).

Wow, I got a little off topic there with canker sores...but I guess my point is that I think all of my symptoms could be linked. I wanted to share this with you all just incase someone else has similar symptoms to mine, that I might be able to help them or give any advice I may have.

Thanks.
    Val
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2006]